1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Polk R15s on sale again...

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by John Garcia, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Tony: For a better chance at a response...re-post your question above over in the "Speaker/Subwoofer" Forum. There are lots of people with great knowledge there. Make sure you include Polk RM 6750 in the title of the post and I'm sure you'll get all kinds of input.

BTW, welcome to the HTF! It is a great forum...with lots of great reading. Welcome aboard! [​IMG]

2. reason21

reason21 Extra

Tony
    Polk Audio R50 are know POLK MONITOR 50 ?And you guys have gotten them for $59 a piece..? I just went ot my local fry's and they want $199.I keep checking this topic everyday.haha.......the day will come..I guess....[​IMG]

Houston,tx I'll keep my eyes open....

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

tony: Polk Monitor 50s are completely different from the R50s. The Monitor series by Polk is an entirely different product line than the R series.

From Polk Audio.com:

Monitor 50s

The R50s

4. NovaBlitz

NovaBlitz Agent

John Smith

I'm dying to know as I've searched and not come up with an answer. Which is the superior speaker, the R15 or the R150? I know the 150 is the successor to the 15, but is it the better speaker? Since they are both the same price on outpost right now it would be unwise to buy the inferior product. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Also new member first post, long time reader. Good to be here! Would introduce but I'm on my way into bed now.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Ryan: Welcome aboard the good ship HTF.

I've only got experience with the R15s. I've got them as surrounds with R30s as fronts and a CSi25 for the center. I'm still using a crappy Jensen for my sub. Unfortunately, though, I've got no experience with the R150s.

It will take someone who has actually done a side-by-side with the two model lines to give an answer. But, who knows?! That person may be reading this thread right now! [​IMG]

6. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

the r15 and r150 speakers seem to be very close in specs, appearance, etc. except for the placement of the tweeter. Since Polk typically tries to improve the sound on each successive model I would think the R150s might be better, but I don't know. More important would be matching the L, C, R speakers. It is likely the R15s will match better with the CSI25.

7. reason21

reason21 Extra

Tony
    Well im keeping my eyes open for them R50's,
    Wich would do better for front's?

Thanks Again....I love my polk's![​IMG]

But they have put the r50's on sale at does prices...$59each.....wer was I?[​IMG]
    Im fairly new to this, I can connect anything....no problem there,but I dont know alot about Home Audio.
    I just bought that little system rm6750 because I got at $250.,to go along with my Sony VPL-HS60 Projector.

Im thinking of turning the garage into a HT room.
    I want to replace the front with some nice Polk Towers, and these rm6750 front to the middel.(7.1) also a new Sub, the 6750 came with one but its a 8" sounds good, but I need more power for the garage.Im gonna go back to fry's today.....to inspect every polk there...lol.

Thanks Again.....

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    My Mom LOVES the R300's I got her for Christmas. She even managed to connect them herself since she was so anxious to get them up and running.

Then again, all she had prior to these were some Jensen HTIB cubes, so nearly anything was probably going to be an improvement. [​IMG]

Next is the subwoofer for Mother's Day or Birthday. [​IMG]

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

What a good son! [​IMG] Better than a Whitman sampler..that's fer sure, fer sure!

11. NovaBlitz

NovaBlitz Agent

John Smith

Except for the tower layout, what's the difference between the R300 and the R150? The R300 looks like a R150 on top of a tower. The R300 has a slightly larger woofer from what I can tell. I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the 300's to go on sale again or to just go with the R150's.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Follow those links I posted up in Post #162 to polkaudio.com and you can get all the specs on their different speakers.

At one point recently, I had the R15s as my fronts...then upgraded to the R30s for my fronts...moving the R15s to my rears. The difference was huge. I got a much fuller sound from having the 30s out front. I also got much more bass from the front of my sound field. My sub is located near my main listening area...so getting that extra bass from the front makes for quite a different listening experience.

13. NovaBlitz

NovaBlitz Agent

John Smith

I understand that, but I was comparing the R300 to the R15

The R30 and R50 both look like much more serious speakers than the R300.

14. reason21

reason21 Extra

Tony
    I might just get them here,I found NEW Polk Audio R50 Floor Standing Speakers Cherry Pair onEbay.Since hes from Houston,tx.local pick-up.

What do you think? $243.00 should I get them.....

15. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    In the past, when these have been on sale, it's usually been for $99 each or less. They show up a lot less frequently nowadays, so, based upon supply and demand, that may be a decent price. I have a pair in black that I paind $200 for (black is the color of my other components), but I have to admit, the cherry styling is pretty snazzy looking. [​IMG]

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

17. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I wonder how many pairs of R15's Polk has produced over the years. At that price, they must have sold 'em like hotcakes.

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

19. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Thanks for the tip, Mike! I ordered a pair to use as surrounds in a second room system. For less than $120 delivered, this is quite a deal! Looks like I am in 'backordered' mode right at the moment though, so I hope they do get more in stock and can ship before too long.

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I should be getting some kind of commission from Fry's! [​IMG]

I DO think it's pretty cool that so many people have taken advantage of this deal because of this thread (including myself!). And noone's ever come back to say they weren't satisfied. I suppose that would be mostly because of the price!