Polk R-40 on sale at Fry's for $99 each.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Race, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Race

Race Auditioning

I'm about to purchase the JBL NSP-1 speaker package, but today I seen this Fry's ad in the paper that had the Polk R-40's on sale for $99 each with a limit of one pair per customer. They also had the center on sale for $79.

Which would sound better in a 18 X 20 room with 12 foot ceilings, the nsp-1's or 2 pair of the Polk R40's and a center?

Thanks for any replies.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Are they really only $100 for a pair? Sometimes retailers price them "each".

I think they will definitly sound better than the NSP1s if you get the R40 component setup. Those Polks normally go for around $400.

3. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Race,

For $99 each I'd race (no pun intended) right over and pick them up, that's a great price. I imagine for $79 they are talking about the CS175i center. I would suggest upgrading on the center, it's the hardest working speaker in the set-up. I really think you would be happier with the CS245i. It has TWO of the 5 1/4" drivers instead of one and a 1" Trilaminate dome tweeter instead if a 3/4" silk dome tweeter.

Tyler

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

As soon as I saw your post, I looked at the Fry's ad here and it is $198/pair and a steal at that price. In my opinion, these are really, really nice speakers. I suggest you get them over the JBL's, which I've also heard, in that I believe it is a no contest situation. Also agree that you should upgrade the center channel as much as you can. If I know Fry's, probably all the Polks are on comparable sale right now and I think you'd regret it later if you tried to save some bucks now on the center, only to long for the better center later.

5. Race

Race Auditioning

I went to Cicuit City, it was closer, and they price matched a set for me. I was going to buy another set of R40's for the rear for that price, but they only had one set in the store. They said come back tuseday and they would have another set. While I was their I picked up a Velodyne CHT15 Sub for $429 (open box). I'm going to call Fry's today and see how much I can get the CS245I for.

Thanks

Race Terry

6. Duke

Duke Stunt Coordinator

I would stay with the CS175 center, it is vioce matched to the 40's & 10's, same 3/4" tweeter and 5 1/4" woofs.