What's new

Polk PSW505 (1 Viewer)

ChrisHall

Auditioning
I know most of you have SVS subs, or atleast you want to :P but today i bought a psw505. a few specs for you to look at.

overall freq. response. 23hz-160hz
-3db freq. response. 28hz-125hz
12" long throw
300watts rms, 460watts dynamic.

its bass u can feel. personally i like it =)
anywho, reason i posted this, was to ask if any of you have one? if so, how has it been?

Vince Moralle

Auditioning
I have one. I just bought it 2 weeks ago. I am impressed with it. Not boomy and need to keep it turned down as it makes my vaulted ceiling vibrate!:)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As long as you didn't pay the same or more than a SVS PB-10, I'd say enjoy it. :)

Honestly, I have yet to hear a Polk sub that wasn't boomy, though I have not heard the 505. When you say that, have you heard other subs that are generally considered "not boomy"? No offense, but most people don't really understand what boomy is until they've heard something like an HSU, SVS or other quality sub.

I believe Ed Mullen was going to do a review of this sub.

Vince Moralle

Auditioning
No I have not heard any of the internet brand products sorry. I listened to it at Sound Advice (Tweeter in FL)next to the Velodyne in the same price range and thought the Polk had a better sound. I did listen to the PSW303 in the same theatre setup and was unimpressed by it completely. I would say that the 505 is in a class by itself when it comes to Polk subs. I was not able to find a sub for $499 in my area that sounded better. I am reluctant to buy speakers from the internet that I have not had a chance to listen to.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, for SVS and a few other brands, there's http://www.audioenvy.com/ that allows you to check your local area to see if there are any owners who would be willing to let you come hear their gear.

I got a free 202 when I bought 3 pairs of LSi7s. I gave it to a friend and set it up for her. It's better than no sub, but not by a long stretch. It has the impact of an average tower speaker. The 303 was definitely less than impressive too.

Most people are reluctant to buy something they haven't heard (which is completely fair and as it should be), but these internet direct brands would not have the following they have if they weren't GOOD. I was SHOCKED the first time I heard a SVS.

Just look at the specs for the PB-10 at just $429 (though will be about the same with tax and shipping) compared to the 505:

505 - 3db freq. response. 28hz-125hz
PB-10 - 20Hz-100Hz anechoic
505 - 12" long throw
PB-10 - 10"
505 - 300watts rms, 460watts dynamic
PB-10 - 300w/700w

I'm pretty impressed with this sub so far, and it's their lowest model. I've heard other higher models as well that were even more impressive.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest comparing the 505 to its intended competition at national retail chain stores - comparably sized and priced subs from Infinity, Velo, Klipsch, JBL, etc.

When viewed in this light, the 505 stacks up well against the competition, and that is the important thing to Polk Audio. All of these companies operate under similar overhead structures and production cost constraints, and have very specific target demographics and performance goals for all their models.

Vince Moralle

Auditioning
The audioenvy site is cool but unfortunately there is only 1 registered user under a 100 mile radius from my location registered. I was hoping to find some closer to here. I may for the hell of it just order 1 to try because Sound Advice(Tweeter) has a 60 day home audition guarantee or your money back.(that is what the sales rep said anyway)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Vince,

Drop us an e-mail if you are interested in doing a comparision. We're not in the habit of sticking people with subwoofers they don't like, even if it's an entry level model.

The reluctance to buy any Internet direct brand is understandable and we do what we can to alleviate that.

Ron Stimpson
[email protected]

Vince Moralle

Auditioning
What is the performance difference between the PB10-ISD and the PB12-ISD? For $100 more the PB12 sounds more interesting to me. My room is fairly large.I have decided to maybe try one but it won't be for a few months as I am getting ready to buy some new mains and surrounds.(Sapphire)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Vince,

You could expect roughly 75% more headroom (call it 4-5dB, depending on the details of the situation). Given the PB10-ISD is already pretty potent and arguably more than some applications "need", of course that added capacity can be seen as irrelevant too.

PS if anyone has more questions on that or related issues please e-mail us. I don't want to derail this thread more with more SVS blathering.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks