What's new

Polk PSW404 vs. Velo CHT10? (1 Viewer)

Denny_Z

Auditioning
Hi all! New here and glad to be onboard!!

I'm trying to decide between the Polk PSW404 or Velodyne CHT-10 sub. As you prob know, both are 10 inch, and both can be had at your local Circuit City. I never had experience with either brand.

This is mainly for HT, and I watch a lot of action movies. Room is 20Lx10Wx10H.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

-Denny

Steve Alan

Agent
Both subs are very good for the money, but if it were me buying, I would get the polks. The velos are muddier sounding on music but have more slam/impact, but the polk is a deeper, less distorted sounding sub. I would say that they both have the ability to play at the same max volume, and have about the same low end extension. This new series of polks (303 404 505) are a big improvement over their previous ones, and the velos seem to be getting cheaper.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Owning a Velodyne CHT-150 I can tell you they are much better than the Polk subs. I am not anti-Polk because all of my speakers are Polk except the sub. (SVS-VELO combo):D
The Polk subs just don't reach beyond about 35-38 hz and the Velodyne will reach around 25-28hz. In subwoofer speak that is a big difference. As far as Velodyne subs being cheap, the price may be dropping a little do to competition but the quality is far from cheap! They are sub company and as such that is their specialty. Now if I can sway you toward an SVS - Oh wait that is another thread. ;)

Denny_Z

Auditioning
Thanks for the great responses! I am a newbie and I wanted to ask another question actually - do you think a 10 inch driver will be enough for my needs, or should I go to 12 inch? Again, the room is 20Lx10Wx10H, which I would describe as pretty narrow. We needed the sub for mainly HT, with emphasis on action movies. As an FYI, I think the Velo is pushing 150 watts RMS vs. the Polk at 200 watts RMS.

Thanks again,
Denny

Daniel.Han

Stunt Coordinator
I can't speak about the polk but I own the Velo along with an SVS. By itself the CHT-10 does an admirable job, and can put out quite a bit of bass. Construction is also pretty decent considering the price range.

Aside from that, don't buy it from CC. Two options, go to Onecall.com they carry the whole CHT line and for a lot less, no taxes and free shipping. I have ordered from them twice and have gotten great service every time. Plus with the lower price you might find you can move up a model of two. OR if you are really uneasy about buying online print out the page listing the Velo price from onecall and if CC is smart they will price match it. Good luck,

Dan H

Steve Alan

Agent
Just a couple of more comments:

The 10 inch polk does have a -3db limit of only 35hz, but overall just sounds better to me.

My comment about the velos now being cheaper, I meant it to mean that they sound muddier, less controled, or however you want to put it, than the previous CT series of subs. It wasn't meant suggest anything about price or build quality. I was pressed for time when I wrote the first post, I had to go back to work.

Now that you've mentioned the possiblity of getting a 12" sub, there is probably no going back to considering a 10". You don't want to get the 10 and find it's not enough for what you want. For a room of that size I would definitely go for the 12.

Karl_Sp

Grip
I've owned the CHT-10 for about 2 months now. I originally bought a PSW250 but returned it for the CHT-10. I demoed all the polk and velo subs at my local future shop. I can tell you this. The CHT-10 is an awesome home theater sub for the money. I will definitly recommend it. As for music, its ok but Im not really that satisfied. As for it sounding boomy, yeah, it kinda does. It all has to do with placement though. If you place it in the middle of the room it will sound pretty sharp but output will be pretty low (too low for my liking). When its place in a corner or Facing a wall (this is the way I have it, beside my tv), its output is much higher but boomier. In order for me to achieve a nice output I had to make it boomy. I still love this sub though, I think its very underrated in the world of budget subs.

karl

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks