1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Polk PSW 350?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Seans, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Stephen Seans

Stephen Seans Auditioning

I just bought the Polk PSW350 sub and the salesman said to plug the sub wire in the R or L input on the back of the sub. Should I plug it into that or the life in plug. Sorry for being vague. My receiver is Yamaha HTR-5460. Thanks

2. Stephen Seans

noone has any idea which is better??????[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Stephen,
    First off Welcome to the forum! I hope you come to like it here as much as I do! [​IMG]
    To answer your question I really don't think it will make much difference. The best advice anyone could give you is to try it out both ways and judge for yourself. Though if your receiver has only one subwoofer output I would just use a single cable to the LFE input. I hope that helps some.
    Regards,
    Dan Hine

4. Stephen Seans

Thanks, Just want to get the most out of my set up.

5. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

I do not know anything specifically about this sub, but if it has both an LFE and normal low-level inputs I suspect that the LFE input may be on a crossover by-pass circuit. SO if by-passing the Xover is fine with you (assuming I'm right) then hook it into the LFE port.

I have gathered that most people prefer to let their receivers handle the Xover work and bypass the sub Xover when possible...

6. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

If I were you, I would run a cable from the SUB OUT or LFE OUT (not sure what's it marked on Yammys) of your receiver to the LFE in (the single jack) on the sub. Then I would set all speakers to "small" in the Yammy's set-up menus, unless you have really, really nice, big speakers.

That way, you're using the crossover in the receiver, not the sub.

If you use the "Line in" L/R jacks, you run the risk of using both the crossover in the your receiver and the one in your sub, "double-filtering" the signal and severely impacting your bass.

I have the same sub, paired with a Sony STR-DE333ES being used as a pre-pro. I use the LFE input on the sub, and turn the adjustable crossover dial all the way up (just to be safe.) I like to let the receiver handle bass management duties, not the sub.

Hope that helps.

7. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

1. Does your receiver have a built in crossover? If yes, use the lfe input.

2. The lfe input completely bypasses the internal crossover in the psw350. Turning the crossover knob will have no effect.

What I'm wondering is the consensus as to where on the volume knob is the best output/distortion ratio?

Kevin