What's new

Polk PSW-350 for $169. Worth it? (1 Viewer)

A friend of mine is eyeing a Polk PSW-350 at a local store for $169 and has asked my advice. Anybody have any experience with this model and will give an opinion or a recommendation for another sub at around this price?

Thanks

John Gido

Second Unit
Although Polk subs are not highly regarded, they are adequate for a small to mid-sized room. I have owned a PSW-350 for about 2 years and it fills my room (11' x 20') nicely. For that price, I would grab it.

Carleton

Auditioning
Actually, I would say that Polk subwoofers are widely regarded as good subwoofers. However, with the advent of SVS and HSu, the whole price performance balance has been drastically altered. That being said, before I was aware of SVS, etc., I purchased a PSW 350 for my father's home theater, a largish family room. I have calibrated the sub with Avia, and I have to push it to about 70-75% of the volume control. I have always appreciated this sub, and the purchase price was $350.00 about 2 years ago. So, I would say that in a small to medium size room, this sub represents a great bargain that will fill most needs. The rated extension is quite poor (-3dB 38hz) based on what $500 will get you today from the likes of the Hsu VTF-2 (-3d 25hz), but that is advice based on retail purchase price of $350.00, not the price you quoted. I would heartily recommend this sub at that price vs. any other powered sub selling for under $250.00 on the market. SVS and Hsu just don't make powered subs that cheap, so your stuck in the brick and mortar world of overpriced, under performing subs.

Thank you all for your advice, I'll tell my friend that this sub will give him good performance for that price. I myself have an SVS 16-46PC, so I am unfamiliar with subwoofers in that class. I was just wondering if the JBL PB10 was a better performer and thus a better deal for just a tad more $ mail order.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a PSW-350. As stated in a reasonable room it is a great performer. Maybe not the lowest technical frequency response, but it is a very tuneful and active sub for movies and music alike. Got mine on sale for $200 and see it as a great buy for under $350.

I compared it to the JBL PB10, and the PSW seemed to be quite a better value and performer. YMMV. Get the 350, its great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks