Polk or Paradigm

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Darren.T, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Darren.T

Darren.T Auditioning

Hi,

Im new to HT, trying to decide between these two setups, the Paradigm is a little more expensive.
    What would sound the best, will be used mostly for HT.

Paradigm
    Monitor 7 fronts
    Monitor 3 backs
    ADP-370 surround
    CC-370 front
    DLS5000 sub
    AVR2106 amp

Polk
    RTi8 front
    RTi6 back
    FXi5 surround
    CSi5 front
    DLS5000 sub
    AVR2106 amp

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Darren

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have Paradigm 7s with Mini Monitors for surrounds and really like the sound. If you are using the speakers mainly for HT, I suggest you look at Mini-Monitors all around or at least Mini's for surround and the 3s as your main speakers. Use the sub for all your deep bass.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

what i say doesn't matter. You need to listen yourself carefully and see what you like. That being said, paradigm for sure [​IMG]

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I too would go the Paradigm route. I would not get the ADP surrounds though. They are very expensive. They are nice but I would save cash and go with Mini's for all of your surrounds.....back and side. Then with the money saved I would put that towards a nicer sub from Hsu or SVS.
    Another option that may sound strange but hear me out.....If this will be for HT I would move up to the Studio line from Paradigm. I would get the Studio 40's for mains.....CC470 center than (this is the weird part) get Atoms for all the surrounds. Yes I know they are 2 steps down from the Studios but keep in mind that if this is for HT and not multi channel music than the only thing coming from the surrounds is ambient sound. The most important speakers is your front soundstage. I always recommend putting the bulk of the cash there and "cheap out" at first with surrounds. You can upgrade them later. I think you will be suprised at how well the Atoms perform too. Just something to think about.....

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. Thanks also evan for picking up the slack with more details on the actual array.

6. Jerome_Anthony

Jerome_Anthony Auditioning

What setup would you guys recommend of the two if the purpose were for music and HT? A Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi will be the receiver.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

the recommendation stands. More strongly with music, IMO.

8. Darren.T

Darren.T Auditioning

Thanks for your replies.

Why do you guys like the Paradigm range over the Polks?
    we dont have as many brands over here in New Zealand as you do in the US, I cant get Atoms, SVS or HSU, Im on a pretty tight budget I dont think I can afford studio line.

Thanks

9. Jerome_Anthony

Sorry I'm not following. Which recommendation? 1. Paradigm 7s with Mini Monitors for surrounds? Or, "save cash and go with Mini's for all of your surrounds.....back and side"? Then with the money saved put that towards a nicer sub from Hsu or SVS?

Can the back surrounds be mounted up on the wall? I don't have much floor space in the rear.

10. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I too would stick with the Studio and "cheap" surrounds. The Monitors I don't feel are very musical speakers. Again, I always recommend buying the BEST front 3 you can afford.....even if this meens NO surrounds....GASP!! Cheap surrounds can be added to get that HT feel and then upgraded later.

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

both with going for paradigm over polk, and then with upgrading the fronts to monitor or studio series at the cost of the rears.

12. Darren.T

Darren.T Auditioning

How about this set-up.
    Studio 40 up front, studio 20 for backs cc470 for centre, just keep it 5.1 for now and ill save up some more for another set of studio 20 later on?

Or would it be better to go with the studio 60 up front?
    also what would you recommend between the CC470 and CC570 centres?

The room is 14' by 21'

Thanks
    Darren

13. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

That is a decent sized room but you should be OK with the 40's. The 60 are VERY nice but need more juice to really shine so you may want to look at a "cheap" used 2 channel amp to drive them if you go that route. Supposedly the 470 is the matching center for the 20's and 40's and the 570 is for the 60 and 100's. That certainly does not mean that you can't get one or the other for any of the speakers. I have heard the 470 a great deal and it is a GREAT performer. The system you talk about sounds like an excellent idea! What sub are you getting or already have?

14. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I actually prefer the 40's over the 60's when there is a good sub. I think the mids are cleaner and the speaker is more sensitive than the 60. I was actually going to get the 40's before I found Ascend. Those Ascend 340s are something else. Oh, btw, I like paradigm quite a bit more than polk.

15. Jerome_Anthony

Where online can I purchase Paradigms?

Also, are the performance and studio series the same?

16. Darren.T

Darren.T Auditioning

For the centre I would have thought the CC-470 would be better because it has more of the same drives as all the rest of the speakers?

17. Jerome_Anthony

Where online can I purchase Paradigms?

Also, are the performance and studio series the same?

18. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I ahve never seen Paradigm sold on-line. Which leads to me to believe they don't offer them on-line.

The Performance series is Paradigms entry level speaker. The Studio line is their top of the line........other than the Signatures which are very expensive......and beautiful..... The Monitor line is inbetween the Performance and Studios. Personaly if I owned Performance speakers and wanted to upgrade I would opt to go stright to the Studio's. Performance to Monitors is not that big a jump IMO. Studios are EXCELLENT!

19. Darren.T

Darren.T Auditioning

I have been thinking more and more about having 7x studio 40 speakers as my system, I like the idea of having the exact same sound coming out of all of the speakers.

What do you guys think?

20. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I have similar Polk speakers to the line you are looking at, but from the few times I've had the chance to listen to Paradigm's, they were a better speaker, specially for music. In my area Paradigm are very hard to find and much more expensive then the Polk’s. I'm happy with the Polk’s and since I all ready had a collection going I stuck with them for now. My suggestion is to go with the Paradigm' if they are at all close in price.

As for matching speaker configurations....for multi-channel audio especially, matched speakers all around really makes a difference. Most movies the difference is rarely noticeable. I've had a setup that has two 6.5" and one 1" tweeter for all five speakers in my setup.

Currently I have normal surrounds because this house is not well suited for my RT55 rears and they do a good job, just not as good as when they were a perfect match.