Polk or Paradigm?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Antonio_B, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

I would like to know what would be your opinion on those 2 famous audio brands.

Personally,Paradigm would be my choice.

2. Todd-B

Todd-B Agent

I personally own a full 7.1 setup with polk lsi series speakers.Compared to paradigm i couldnt help you because i havnt heard them.But i can tell you that polk speakers like alot of clean power to perform at their best.I have them paired up with the rotel rsp1068 pre with the rotel rmb1095 for the center and side and rear surrounds with a carver m4.0t amp for the mains.They really sound great with home theater and music.If i had to say anything that i didnt like about them would be they sound kinda dry with subpar recordings as far as the treble is concerned.But pair them up with some good recorded sacd's or dvda's and they really shine.I have heard the B&W 700 series and was told that they compare to paradigms somewhat.I think they did sound better in the mid and high end area a little.But what it really boils down to is what equipment you plan on using and what appeals to your ears.

3. Antonio_B

I'm hesitating between Polk and Paradigm for building my audio setup.

When i heard a Polk setup paired to a HK receiver they didn't sound very powerful that's why i want to hear some different opinions on the subject.

4. Todd-B

Todd-B Agent

Which polk speakers did you hear?

5. Antonio_B

probably the "high end" models

6. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I personaly prefer Paradigm. I have heard the Monitor and Studio line from Paradigm and the Rti and Lsi from Polk. I was not impressed by the Monitor line and the Rti line but the Studios and Lsi's are very nice. I prefer the Studio line though from Digm'. I think the high end is very nice and clean....very detailed. The mids are nice and the Bass is nice and tight. If you are looking at the studio 60's or 100's I would throw a decent amount of power their way. Although they are relatively eficient and 8 ohm (I think) they really sound great with a nice powerplant behind it (which speaker doesn't though [​IMG] ) The Polk Lsi's NEED a lot of power as they are 4 ohm. The Polks sounded very nice but they left me a little bored to be honest. They sound great but I really thought they were a bit overpriced. Plus the tower models have a powered woofer/sub so they need to be plugged in....something I really could not do....nor would want to do......I had a pair of powered towers....won't do that again [​IMG].
    What would be powering them? and EXACTLY what speakers were you looking at?? If you are unsure both Polk and Parafigm have great websites, you will able to see them there if you don't remember. When you find out let us know. I have heard most of the speakers in the 2 lines I mentioned earlier so I and I am sure more people will be able to offer better advice.

7. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Plus, I just noticed your in Canada.....I'm SURE you could find a killer deal on Paradigm......

8. TonyWright

TonyWright Second Unit

I agree with Evan there...

If you are in Canada I would look for a good deal on the digms.

Just my $0.02...

Tony

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Paradigm[​IMG] [​IMG]

Kevin

10. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

The first time I listened to the Polk RTi10, it was in a Future Shop store. They were powered by a HKAVR430. It sounded thin, completely lack of mid bass. I listened to them in another Future Shop and they were powered by an AVR630. They sounded much better. I also auditioned the Paradign studio 60 and 100 in a high end store. Switching between a RX-V2400 and a much more powerful Anthem separate system, the difference in sound quality was not that obvious.

To me, the Studio 60/100 are easier to drive, and sound better than the Polk RTi line. I have never heard the LSi paired to anything better than an AVR525, but they supposedly sound great if driven by high quality amps.

11. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

The word personally is the key word in any choice of equipment. I have owned Paradigm Monitor 7s for over 6 years and have really enjoyed them.

As you know, only you can tell what sounds the best to you. Good luck.

12. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

It's kinda hard to help out if you don't know what you listened to.

13. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

When I was shopping for speakers with my friend, we went to Circuit City and listened to Bose, Polk, and a few other brands that they carried. I was not wholely impressed with any of the speakers that I heard. This may have been because of the setup at Circuit City (noobs setting up the equipment?). Anyway, we went down the street to a local B&M that specializes in audio. I heard some Paradigm Atoms with a matching center, sub and run with an AVR-225. Wow, I was impressed. I didn't think that something so inexpensive could ever sound that good. I KNEW from that moment on that I would probably stick with Paradigm speakers for the rest of my life. The only other speakers that I've heard that were really good enough to make me doubt my Paradigms (and I've now moved up to the Studio line) were B&W's and Martin Logans. I've never heard Rockets or Swans or some of those other brands that you guys mention, but for THIS Polk vs Paradigm comparison, I'm for the Paradigms all the way. What's really too bad is that Polk has to rely on noobs at Circuit City to setup their stuff to try to make it sound good.

I'm glad that I didn't hear the Boston Acoustics when I was initially choosing my speakers, because it would have been a very tough choice between those and the Paradigms.

14. RichG

RichG Agent

Both are mass market speakers. This means a huge part of the cost you pay is devoted to advertising and middleman profits. In order to keep the price competitive, the manufacturers have to use the cheapest parts and labor they can get away with. What does this mean for you the consumer? Well, you get a cheaply made product, and pay more then you need to. My advice. Ignore brands like Paradign, Polk, and worst of worst Bose, and go with a direct market speaker like the Ascend acoustics or Aperion, paired with an SVS sub. These companies all use quality parts, are made in the USA, and are highly rated among users. To top it off, they are very inexpensive. Do yourself a favor and check the reviews out. I myself have an Ascend acoustics/SVS package.

15. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Ignore any speaker company that does not sell direct online? That's some pretty bad advice.

I don't own Paradigm, but I really respect this compnay because of all the engineering and no-nonsense they put into their speakers. They design and manufacture their own drivers and they have their own anechoic chamber. They use tried and true speakers designs and just about all of their speakers have a flat frequency response.

16. Eric D Wong

Eric D Wong Stunt Coordinator

I disagree about skipping the "mass market" brand speakers. Example, Magnepan- are they considered mass market or direct marketer? While they arent found at Best buy, they do a little direct marketing and the standard brick and mortar middleman dealer route too. Gotta remember, the higher end manufacturers dont have the volume of speaker sales in order to make a profit, so what do they do? Jack up the price. Who pays for it? You. When you have products made by hand here in the USA with your esoteric hand crafted components= expensive labor, who do you think pays for it?

BTW, B&W- usually considered a higher end line- where do you think most of their speakers are made? I'll give you a hint, on the boxes of my AV6, Cinema and CWM650s' it starts with a T and ends with a N.

While the 'budget' line of most loudspeaker companies offerings do have compromises, usually the higher end stuff I think tends to be pretty good. These days (besides bose) I think it is difficult to get a speaker that actually sounds "bad".

17. Antonio_B

all i know is that when i listened to the Paradigms it had more of a "dynamic sound" compared to the Polks.

but i still don't get why does Polk sell their speakers at such an excessive price when on the other hand you have Paradigm that sells excellent products for half the price.

18. RichG

RichG Agent

I stand correct. Don't ignore brands such as Paradign and Polk. However, you should evaluate their price/quality/performance vs some of the direct market models before making a decision on which speaker to purchase.
    I think if you expand your horizons a bit, you would discover there are numerous alternatives to the mass market speakers which offer superior sound and build quality at the same price or less. As for Magnepan, they are a quasi direct market/retail distributed product. In fact, the old SMG was one of my favorite all time speakers. Incredible holographic sounding strings and voices, but no bottom end. [​IMG]

19. Papostol

Papostol Auditioning

You have to choose what sound best to you. Each will have their own sound and you may prefer one over the other while others may differ.

20. paul clipsel

paul clipsel Stunt Coordinator

Personally taste makes it tough. But you need to indicate models or price as there are vast differences in how good or bad the model choices are. I have heard good and bad in both brands that could suit me. You still have to listen for yourself in the end.

PC