What's new

Polk or Definitive Technology Soundbar? (1 Viewer)

alancca

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
Ok, I would like to hear from those who have experience with using either polk or definitive technology sound bars.

I have a 32" lcd in the master bedroom and am replacing a bose 321 system which I never liked. I can't do a rear speaker run in this room, so am going with a passive sound bar, powered sub, and hooking it up to a hdmi receiver. No blueray but using dvds as well.

I am having a hard time deciding which soundbar to go with based on cost performance, as well as width of the sound bar for mounting on wall.

Polk has a sweet deal going on with a free psw-111 subwoofer if buying polk audio speakers valued at $400+
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/Prodview.asp?i=107PSW111B

Option 1

I could go with the Soundbar50 (52" wide) at $749 and get the sub for free. This would be quite wide on the wall though.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/Prodview.asp?i=735MYSSA42

Optiion 2

Or I could go with the original polk soundbar (42" wide) on sale for $399, ad a couple of small polk satellite bookshelfs for 149 and get the sub for free so total cost $549. I could use the 2 extra satellites and configure them as side rears even though they would be up front near the tv.

Option 3

Going the Definitve Technology route with there SS-42 sound bar at $799 and adding the polk sub for $299 puts me at $1098. Is it worth that much?

If anyone has experience with these Soundbars and can provide advise I would appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks

Alan

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by alancca

Optiion 2

I could use the 2 extra satellites and configure them as side rears even though they would be up front near the tv.

I can't provide any firsthand experience on any of the soundbars, but I definitely wouldn't do this. Surrounds are supposed to be placed to the sides for a reason. Adding them to the front soundstage is a bad idea - it will muddy the sound and negate any benefits you'll get from upgrading your front speakers.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
From what you write you appear to be trying to buy your sound bar on line. Have you listened to either of these systems? I suggest that you try to listening to both of these systems live and pick the one that sounds best to you. If you can swing a better deal on line then retail then order from an on line merchant.

If due to geographic reasons you can't do a live demo then select a on line merchant that has a liberal return policy so you can return the sound bar if you don't like it's performance.

alancca

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

I can't provide any firsthand experience on any of the soundbars, but I definitely wouldn't do this. Surrounds are supposed to be placed to the sides for a reason. Adding them to the front soundstage is a bad idea - it will muddy the sound and negate any benefits you'll get from upgrading your front speakers.
Thanks for the feedback. I had read some reports that in this application if adding the 2 satellites it gives the effect of more spatial separation when using the soundbar.

alancca

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
Originally Posted by CB750

From what you write you appear to be trying to buy your sound bar on line. Have you listened to either of these systems? I suggest that you try to listening to both of these systems live and pick the one that sounds best to you. If you can swing a better deal on line then retail then order from an on line merchant.

If due to geographic reasons you can't do a live demo then select a on line merchant that has a liberal return policy so you can return the sound bar if you don't like it's performance.
I am indeed buying online, and they do have a good return policy. I have found that showroom testing does little for me as it really depends on the room your installing in. In home real life testing will have to be the answer for me. Thanks for the comments.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I have to agree with you the acid test should be how the system sounds in your home. I have found in my 40+ years of Music listening that the same system can sound very different when moved from room to room. The size and acoustics of your room will have a great difference in how a system sounds.
I also know friends through the years who got burned buying equipment taking it home and then having all kinds of problems with the merchants return policy. Thinks like excessive restocking fee's start to pop up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks