Polk Lsi's or Boston VR's with Denon

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Alan Wise, May 6, 2004.

1. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

I am interested in hereing the opinions of which of these two systems are better suited either a Denon 3805, or 5803 receiver (I plan on buying one, or the other on Saturday). The two 7.1 speaker systems are as follows:

Polk:
    1 pair LSi-9's for front mains
    1 Lsi-Center = Front Center
    2 pairs Lsi-FX's = side and rear surrounds

Boston Acoustic:
    1 pair VR-M60's for front mains.
    1 VR-C = Front Center.
    2 pairs VR-MX's = for side and rear surrounds.

Thanks in advance.

Al.Wise

2. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

Well, the Polk LSi's are awesome speakers, but are rated at 4ohms. While the Denon might run them pretty well, they really benefit from an amp honestly rated to run 4ohms. If you think the Denon can handle it, I'd say go for it. You always have the option of adding an amp(s) later.

3. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

Hi Alan,

I have the VR-M60, VRMX, & VR10 for close to a year and the speakers are awesome. I currently have an Onkyo 700 powering them and the soundstage is vast. Two channel stereo (w/ sub) and direct (w/o sub) both sound great. I am in the midst of upgrading the receiver and have listened to the new Denon 3805 two weeks ago at Sound Advise in Miami. The speaker were glowing; of course you cannot completely trust these rooms as devised to sound good and much different than your at home theater room. However, this receiver is packed with features, many I am looking for, and I don't think you can go wrong.

Methuen huh?? Funny, before living in Bermuda I grew up in Tewksbury and lived in North Andover before graduating and moving to this island. Right before you get to Tweeter on 28 in Salem this is a store (don't remember the name) but they sell alot of high end gear including the Paradigm Studios. Speak with Don; I was torn between the BA VRM's and Paradigm Studios.

Bottom Line, demoing is key. You could also take both sets home with you and find the one you like the best in your own environment. I have heard tremendous raves about the LSis and the Vifa Tweeters so I wont downplay their quality but I would include the 'Digms in there as well.

If you don't have the receiver yet, the HK 7200 is still one of the best values out there right now. I need upconversion (svideo bug on Elite x20 series), Zone 3 capabilites to include kitchen and deck, and DLPIIx though Logic7 is supposed to be really good for 7 channel playback.

BTW - how is Metheun, Bermuda is sunny and 80. [​IMG]

4. sean f

sean f Agent

great to her from some MA members learning a bunch reading the posts. thanks

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Alan,

I'm running BA VR-M series speakers with a Denon 3802 and I absolutely love it, but that doesn't mean you will. As Mark mentioned, demoing is key (ideally in your home).

Odds are the 3805, and definitely the 5803, can drive the Polks.

-Robb

6. Alan Wise

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Mark,
    It's alovely dayt here in Methuen. It's in the upper 70's, relatively sunny, and a slight breeze.
    It sure beats the cold winter that we had.
    Do you miss it here? I lived in Mexico from september of 2000 until april of 2002. It was good to come home.
    I was just visiting the guys at Ensemble. The audio/video store that is next to Tweeter on 28 in Salem. If by chance I don't go the Denon route, I will buy the NAD T163/T973 seperates combination from them. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Sean,
    It's good to hear from another local enthusiast. Where in MA. do you live?

Again, thanks for the help.
    I will let you know what I finally bring home.

Al. Wise

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I actually know where Methuen is, despite never having been there...is that weird?

NAD with LSIs sounds like a great setup. NAD is definitely rated for 4 Ohm operation.

8. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Alan,
    I've got a room full of LSI's and couple more scattered around as well.[​IMG]

I agree with the comments made previously regarding the need for an amp rated to handle 4 ohm speakers. When I first got my Lsi's I was using a Pioneer Elite VSX-37tx (120wpc) and it ran extremely hot. I'm curently using an Outlaw 7100 (165wpc x 7 @ 4ohms) and am very happy with it's peformance.

I would suggest using a pair of 7's for the rear channels instead of the FX's. I think you'll get better performance and a more pleasing soundfield by doing so.

Best of luck with your upgrade!

9. Alan Wise

Thanks for the additional comments guys!

I hopefully will be demo'ing the LSi's this weekend.
    I will be sure to do an A/B with the LSi-7's in place of the LSi-FX's as recomended.
    I will let you know how I make out.
    I am going to post a thread in the Receivers/Amps section asking about the quality and sound of NAD versus B&K.

Best Regards, Al. Wise

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree about the LSI-7s, I prefer monopoles for surrounds.