What's new

Polk LsiFX or Lsi7 for surrounds? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_B

Agent
I’m contemplating an upgrade to a Polk LSi setup. My seating position is right up against the wall behind me and I was wondering if speakers such as the LSi7 (which are direct radiating) would sound as though the sound was going right past me, as opposed to a speaker like the LSiFX which has the drivers angled about 45 degrees and thus, would aim the sound more directly at the listener.

Our HT is in the family room (22W x 14D x 8H) with no adjoining rooms. The HT is laid out such that the right half of the room (thus, 11W x 14D x8H) has the 65 inch HDTV in the center of the 11W wall space (front). There is a brick wall w/fireplace on the right-side wall and the couch in the center of the rear 11W wall space; there is no wall to the left (until of course, the other end of the family room).

Since there is no wall to the left of the listening position, I cannot place the LSiFXs along any side walls (as dipoles) so, I was wondering if it would be OK to place them directly behind the couch on the wall (as bipoles). I’m afraid though that the right rear surround would reflect off the right wall, but the left rear surround – not having a wall to reflect off of – would make the whole rear surround set up seem unbalanced. The concern I have with the Lsi7 is that the depth of the speaker (about 10 inches) might result in the sound projecting right past the listener and thus not achieving the desired results.

Am I making too much of this? The FXs seem like a very interesting layout – but I’d hate to make the wrong decision. Should I play it safe and go with the LSI7?

Thanks for your patience! JEFF

Jeffrey_B

Agent
Hey Todd... How do you have them positioned? Are they directly behind you (as I would have to position them)? JEFF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks