What's new

Polk LSi9 bookshelf speaker?-opinions? (1 Viewer)

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Steropile lists the spec's on the following link as 4 ohms nominal.

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeak...95/index2.html

Polk Audio lists the impedance as 4 ohms nominal on there website and in the manuals.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/specs....25&speaker=160

From http://www.audiovideo101.com/learn/a...speakers22.asp

Nominal impedance is the average impedance present in a speaker. And this is important also,

A speaker's impedance changes at different frequencies so that it may have a low measure of 3 ohms and a high of 35 ohms.

Always stick to the manufacturers spec's, they designed them, they are the final authority on the their own products.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I don't consider the LSi's to be 'mass market' in the pejorative sense you use the term. I own the LSi 25's after comparing their performance with several other 'high end' brands like Sonus Faber, Revel, and B&W. I paid $1750 for them new. No speaker that I've heard can touch them for that price (Or even $1000 more).

As for the 9's, because my buddy liked my setup so much, he was persuaded into buying a setup with 9's, C, and Fx, and he couldn't be happier. But he's running them on a 200 watt per-channel Outlaw amp, not a receiver. YMMV.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They are not exactly "mass market" granted, as they are not sold in typical stores. When you expand the budget to $1K more, I have DEFINITELY heard better speakers than the LSis, so to each their own.

I ran the LSi7s I own with both 180wpc(4Ohm) monoblocks and a 150wpc(4Ohm) integrated.

donatelloA

Auditioning
I got the LSi9's in the mail today and hooked them directly to my pioneer elite and they sound fine and LOOK awesome. I never run the sound very loud b/c we live IN a private school as dorm parents and the RATS wouldnt like it very much. I do however want to look at the OUTLAW amps to see if they will give me a more crisp sound. I am also switching the center to from pioneer to LSiC.
Thanks for all the talk it has been intersting. Keep it going.

andy

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
But just because they are not sold in typical mass-market stores, does that mean that they sound mass-market? Look, I've never thought much of Polk, but when I heard those tweets, the smooth midrange, and saw the solid build, I realized that were not 'Polks', in the pejorative sense that I use the term. :) Sold my PSB Gold i's on the spot and bought 'em. Honestly, John, what floor-stander have you heard that can soundly lay claim to besting the LSi 25's for $1750? Or even $2750?

Joey_V

Second Unit

I understand that Frank.... all I'm saying is that the LSi7 are "easier" to drive than its LSi counterparts BASED on measurements by stereophile and polkaudio members.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Hell no,I take a third party actual measurment any day if the week over Manufacturer's specs,which in may case part of the advertising campaign of a given product.I take Tom Nuasine's word over Matt Polk,thanks.[I used that as an example];)

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
You have a very valid point. There are some less than honest companies that you just can't trust. Perhaps it boils down to how much faith you have in your favorite equipment manufacturer.

Tom? Was he a Roady for the Grateful Dead?;)

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
john , why didn't you tell your brother he was making a mistake by not buying internet direct?

don't the Polks share the same tweeter that Krell uses in some of their models?...mass market my a$$

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
The only speakers I compared the rm22si's to were the vienna acoustic bach's.....I liked the bachs better...just mho

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can get that tweeter at partsexpress...do you think that's where Krell gets them?

Actually, my brother's 7s only cost $99, so it wasn't a mistake. I bought them for him.

I really like the Viennas, but the Josephs are a bit more detailed and clean across the range. I actually like the RM7si when it comes to bookshelf.

If you want to mass market your ass, be my guest, but I'm not interested, thanks.

Joey_V

Second Unit
mass market, non-mass market... big deal. u like it? u like it.... dont matter either way.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard the Joseph's. Will keep my eyes and ears out for 'em though.

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
You can get that tweeter at partsexpress...do you think that's where Krell gets them?
It's the same manufacturer, same tweeter...this has been widely discussed in many publications....Krell is not mass market, nor for that matter would most people consider the LSI's to be...you can equate "difficult to find and audition" to "non-mass market" but it would probably just make some dismiss your opinions as those of an audio snob.
I myself enjoy inexpensive mass market speakers as well as more pricey "high-end" models...just like wine, there are values to be found at many differant levels ..I can honestly say that I have probably heard more H/T set-ups and real world speaker comparisons than all but about 5% of the posters here, and I am not so quick to dismiss any comparisons between one brand that is supposedly "high-end" and another that is "mass market"

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If I remember correctly, the whole reason I commented was because someone made a blanket statement saying the LSi9 was the best thing on the market under $1K. It is my opinion that one can find better speakers for the same price, just as I did.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bose buyers are a special breed though, and I'm not one of them. :)

At no time did I say the LSis were bad, just not exactly what I want from a speaker.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Everyone has different likes and dislikes in a speaker. The only way to know for sure is an in-home demo with your own gear and your own music/movies. Unfortunetly thats not always an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks