Polk LSi users

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Chalk, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

I was just reading up on the LSi speakers. They look like an excellent speaker and I have just added the LSi9 to my audition list. [​IMG]

But anyway, reading the manual for the LSi9, it seems that the LSi9 is magnetically shielded. And because Polk gives the price of single speakers on their site, I'm assuming you can buy single speakers. So has anyone thought of using an LSi9 laid on its side as a center speaker? It would more than likely blow the LSiC out of the water. And if you used LSi9's as mains, you would have a seamless front soundstage. It sounds like it would make an incredible home theater. I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this. [​IMG]

2. Paul Seyfarth

Paul Seyfarth Stunt Coordinator

Well the LSiC is almost the exact same speaker as the LSi9, only better sheilding. I don't see how a LSi9 would blow the LSiC out of the water. I would not put the LSi9 on my TV, because of it having less sheilding, and the crossover that will distort the tv.

3. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I don't think they're available as a single unit.

4. Tim Christianson

I asked the same question and e-mailed Polk. I was contemplating using three pairs of LSi9's for a 6.1 surround setup. Here is the response I got.

Hello Tim,
    While the LSi 9 can certainly be placed on it's side, we do not recommend using it as a center channel speaker. The crossover network, in the LSi C has a very special cascaded frequency response to each of the two 5 1/4" drivers. In other words, the LSi C may look like the same as an LSi 9, but there is considerable differences in the way each speaker produces sound.
    Regards, Ken, Polk

I don't know why he said you shouldn't use it as a center speaker. Seems like any speaker used for L/R duty could also be used for center. I may end up going with the three pairs of LSi9's anyway, and placing the center LSi9 vertically under the front projection screen.

Tim

5. Matt D K

Matt D K Stunt Coordinator

I don't see a need to do this. I have the LSi15's for mains, 3 (yes 3) LSi7's for surrounds, and the LSic for center. It is all a perfect match. The LSiC is made to be the perfect center channel for these speakers. I love my LSi set-up and would highly reccommend an audition... if you can find a place to do so. As far as bnuying a single speaker, Polk will... but the trick is to find a retailer that will........

6. Steve-sas

Steve-sas Agent

Ken Swauger know his stuff - especially Polk speakers - I thought He gave a very good explanation being that the crossover is optimized for center channel information. The LSi9s are a 2½ way speaker with the crossover directing different info to the 2 drivers. I believe the LSiC crossover sends the same info to both. Your better bet if you want a nice 6.1 system would be 4 LSi9s for the front mains and back surrounds and 2 LSiCs for the front center and the back center

7. Matt D K

Matt D K Stunt Coordinator

I don't understand the need for the LSiC for the rear center. The LSi7 i beleive would be as good for the limited info that it gets.

8. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I use a regular vertical speaker as a center channel speaker and I find it sounds better than many horizontally aligned "center channel speakers."

Movie and music mixers use the exact same vertical speaker for the front center position as the left and rights, and sometimes all the way around the room. For the ultimate sound experience (if you can swing it), that's what they recommend for the home too. Not even dipoles for surrounds either (usually).

Using a center channel speaker for the back surround is not recommended.

Dan

9. Paul Seyfarth

Both the LSi9 and the LSiC have the same crossover freq's and rolloffs. Also if the LSi9 has the same sort of crossover as the old LSiC. Then at high volumes your tv might distort. They have fixed this problem and if you have the problem they send you an upgraded crossover.

10. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

11. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

12. Paul Seyfarth

"Are you telling me their is a problem with the LSiC crossover, the LSi9 crossover, or is their some problem with unshielded speakers in either?"

yes there WAS a problem with the LSiC crossover, I can't speak for the LSi9 because I don't have one, but I would assume that it's the same problem. The problem was that with some(not all) televisions when played loud it would distort the tv. The problem is fixed and if you were like me and had one with a bad crossover then they sent me the new crossover. It had nothing to do with the sheilding of the speakers.

One other thing the from what I have heard the LSi9's arn't as well sheilded as the LSiC.

13. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Even though they list them in price per spearker you CANNOT buy them single (except the Centers of course).

The LSiC is an excellent center and matches my LSi15s perfectly.

Even if you wanted to lay a LSi9 on it's side you'd have to brace it somehow, the wood isn't flat (looks a lot better that way).