What's new

POLK Lsi series ? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to see if any one here has had a chance to demo the new Lsi series of speakers from POLK and get some feedback on them.
From what I have read online so far these speakers seem to be getting very good reviews. There are not any POLK Lsi dealers in my area where I can hear them.( CC is not carrying these speakers )I am looking for some speakers for my work place office, I listen to more music at work and watch movies at home. Might be over kill, But the suggested retail is 1050.00 + tax for the pair of Lsi9 bookshelf speakers, I can purchase them from www.acousticsounddesign.com for 650.00 delivered.
Debating adding a Marantz PM-7000 integrated for 320.oo delivered from www.accessories4less.com to replace a SONY DD receiver that is in use now. Sources will be a dedicated computer with 1500 + MP3's, Turtle beach Montego sound card and a SONY DVD for CD and DVD play back.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Steve, there have been a few discussions on here regarding the LSi. Try searching and you should find them as they're not to old.

J. Redcay

Agent
I just got a pair of LSI 15's about a week ago. I am using
them in the rear of my setup. My first observations would be these.

1. Very wide dispersion for a rather narrow speaker, off axis is rather startling!

2. Very crisp and sharp sound. Clarity a definite high
point.

3. No problem driving, even though they are rated 4 ohms.

4. Very handsome pair, looks as if Polk has some folks in the QC department....a refreshing change for any manufacturer!

5. Really don't have any negatives at all, perhaps the ultimate positive!!

Jonathan K

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know when a polk lsi vs. onix rocket comparison will happen?

From the LOOKS of it, the onix rockets are less expensive, built better, use better components, look A WHOLE LOT better, and supposedly sound better... same tweeters as the LSi, too...

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I'd like to know who has reviewed rocket speakers. As far as I know no one has done so yet, so saying they sound better is not valid. If someone has done a review then please point me to it. An A/B comparison would have to be done to see which sounds "better" and what sounds better to one person doesn't sound better to another, so that wouldn't sway me anyways.
I think that the Polks look much better than the rocket speakers lineup but again that is subjective.
Specs and parts are one thing, but how it sounds can be completely different. I think it's unfair to assume that rocket is going to beat the Polk LSi in every respect when very few if any (?) consumers have them in their possession.
Just saw the LOOKS part in the beginning. Well Looks are one thing, but the reality could be different. I'm sure Onix will make a great speaker, but it's difficult to do phantom comparisons. ;)

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Allen,
There were 7 beta testers for the new Rocket line, all of whom are members of this Forum. However no one to my knowledge has compared them to the Lsi line. It will be interesting to find out. The new Polks will have to be a whole lot better than their recent offerings to even come close to the Rockets.

Jonathan K

Stunt Coordinator
Well, MLS said something along the lines of "been there, done that" when I asked for a comparison of rocket vs. lsi on avsforum...

So I guess, for better or worse, you could call him up and ask HIM...

J. Redcay

Agent
Allen:

In front I have a pair of Legacy Focus with the Legacy Marquis for a center. They are very dynamic, and although
they are more efficient than the Polks, the setup still sounds balanced enough. The Polks wood sides are a pretty close match and they just look like smaller kin for the bigger Focus. This pairing may not make the best matched setup but the outcome sounds good to me (tin ear might be my problem!)

jad

Agent
I believe the rocket towers use multiple woofers in a 2 way config while the lsi15 is a 3 way and even the lsi9 is a 2 1/2 way. For a 2 way design I much rather have just one woofer. I have my doubts they will sound better than the polks.

Walt N

Second Unit
Sorry to get further off topic, I do realize this is a Polk thread so I'll keep this brief.

"I believe the rocket towers use multiple woofers in a 2 way config while the lsi15 is a 3 way and even the lsi9 is a 2 1/2 way. For a 2 way design I much rather have just one woofer."

The 550 is a two way, the 750 is not. Problem is, I haven't figured out a simple way to describe it's crossover as it uses variable x-over points and the drivers team up as necessary depending on the freqs. in play. With high mids only the top metal driver plays, but as the frequencies drop the remaining drivers progressively become active. With deep bass all the metal drivers are used and provide approx. the total cone area and motor of a very stout 10" woofer.

"I have my doubts they will sound better than the polks."

No reason on paper they shouldn't sound at least as good, but of course taste and preference will be the key player as each listener will bring their own idea of "better" into the equation.

Jonathan K

Stunt Coordinator
Those LSi's have an active subwoofer in them, don't they? I never thought that design was very cost effective or versatile for most rooms... you would need a big room that can work with that setup well, right? I also like the setup of the 750's; it sounds really ingenious to get great sound with 'only' 5.25" drivers.. that way you don't need a big, gigantic, hard to position monster, lol!!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I also like the setup of the 750's; it sounds really ingenious to get great sound with 'only' 5.25" drivers.. that way you don't need a big, gigantic, hard to position monster, lol!!
I personally have not had a hard time placing my speakers because I use them the same way someone would use the new rocket speakers. And though I'm NOT implying that the Rocket speakers will not be great (I'm sure they will be) I can't help but feel like I've seen "...ingenious to get great sound with 'only' 5.25" drivers..." in a Bose advertisement. :) Please note that I am NOT comparing Rocket to Bose.
I'm sure both models will be worth buying. I love my current Polk's and would likely buy LSi's because of that. Also, I do wish the guys at AV123 hadn't decided to call them Rocket Speakers. Sounds too Elton John to me.
Regards,
Dan Hine

Walt N

Second Unit
"I can't help but feel like I've seen "...ingenious to get great sound with 'only' 5.25" drivers..." in a Bose advertisement."

Yikes! They might sound like Bose if you duct tape the tweeters and point them backward at the wall.

"Also, I do wish the guys at AV123 hadn't decided to call them Rocket Speakers. Sounds too Elton John to me."

Mark S. rejected my suggestion of "Onix Super-Happy-Funtime Speakers" and I think he made the right choice. Besides, I like Elton John's old stuff.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Steve,
I bought the LSi9 from Acoustic and I highly recommend them. They compare in many ways to my Sonus faber Signums which cost three times as much retail.
I was thinking to get LSi-15 for the front and use the Lsi-9 for the rear but the 9's with my Hsu is tellin' me it's probably not worth it. Too bad no one here locally to demo the Lsi towers :frowning:

J. Redcay

Agent
It is true the the Polk LSI 15's don't carry a powered subwoofer. But let me say they are not in the least bass-shy and in fact very potent in the lower frequencies.
That little bass unit they have in there really puts out some tight bass. In my experience, for HT, a separate sub is without doubt the way to fly. There, of course, may be some towers out there (Definite Techs) come to mind, that may indeed negate a separate sub. But I tend to think that any speaker accomplished enough to give a good musical performance would not be at home trying to create a true sounding earthquake.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Check out this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=39261
Lots of discussion about the LSi Series. I've owned a set consisting of 2x15s 2xFXs and 1 Center since April and I still smile when I listen to them.
I disagree that the Rockets look better then the LSi's but beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.
As for sound I've yet to hear anyone complain about the new Polk series, they are NOTHING like the old polk speakers that you can get at CC.
Brian

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
J. have you considered making the Polks your main speakers?

I had heard that some people were beta testing but I have read no reviews or anything. If someone could link me to a review or beta report or something that would be great. Right now it's my understanding that there are no reviews or comparisons (yet) so saying they are better is just conjecture. I'm sure they are great speakers but we can't just base that on specs. I look forward to reading the reviews and I'm sure people will love them as much as the Diva line it replaces.

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator
Well I'm taking the plunge / ordered the 9's. They should be here on Friday. As I noted in my first post, I would like to upgrade my amplification. Does the Marantz PM-7000 sound like a good choice ? I really can not afford an expensive integrated amp ( under 500.oo ) but I would like something that will deliver good detail from these speakers at moderate to low listening levels. I can sacrifice bass and place a powered sub in a corner of the room The room is only about 12' x 12'
What amplification and sources are some of you that own these speakers using ? Have you had a chance to listen to these speakers connected to other equipment ? What sounded better ? I know listening in a demo room -vs- your home can be hard to compare but I thought I'd ask anyway.
All reasonable recommendations appreciated !

Thanks for the feed back
Steve

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I listened to them at the dealer, but that wasn't anything really impressive for equipment since it was run through a bunch of spliters...

I've got it hooked them hooked up to my Sony N9000-ES amp which provides them with PLENTY of power. Hopefully some other LSi owners can chime in with some more input.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks