What's new

Polk LSi series THX certified ? (1 Viewer)

Al Smith

Auditioning
Can anyone tell me if these new speakers are THX certified, ultra, select etc? If so, where can i find literature on this?
I would be highly interested in knowing, as i usually only follow the certification in buying. This might not be the best buying practice, but it has not failed me yet.
Thanks
Al:)

Nico

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO you should not make decision based on THX certification. But anyway, what does it mean to be THX certified? Just curious. I hope it's not just for marketing gimmick.

Nico

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
You really shouldn't base your purchases off of THX cert. It is a good reference to find some very nice speakers, but make sure you don't limit yourself by only going with THX speakers. Just because a speaker isn't THX cert doesn't mean it can't sound much better than one that is. Let your ears be the judge.

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Seems like they are putting that THX badge on lots of stuff these days. My Logitech computer speakers even have it and they are definitely not that fabulous. Are there different levels of THX?

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I'd second Gil's response. In fact the whole line sounds great, I'd be pissed if they charged a few hundred more per speaker just so they'd be THX certified.

Chase

Agent
Hey Jason Bell I have ordered the Logitech THX certified speaker system. I bought some Monster cable XP. I cant wait. You sounded to mee like you didn't like your speakers. I have read many reviews and they all say they rule. ...Wazup???

Chase Beyer

Alex F.

Second Unit
It should be noted that extremely few high-end loudspeakers are THX certified. At the moment none even come to mind. THX certification is far more prevalent in home-theater electronics than in loudspeakers.

To become THX certified a loudspeaker manufacturer would not only have to pay a fee but would be forced to accept various design parameters with which he may or may not agree.

For instance, THX-certified front main speakers must have restricted vertical dispersion (an often-debated topic), whereas many designers strive to achieve wide dispersion. The Polk LSi's, in fact, have superb vertical dispersion, making them noncritical in height requirements.

If a buyer wanted both audiophile performance and THX certification, his/her choices would be very limited indeed.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It's also of interest to note that THX was just sold to Creative Labs (yes, the SoundBlaster company) a couple of weeks ago.

Kevin Crays

Agent
Creative bought THX? Where did you read this? I looked through 6 months of news from creative, and there's not a single press release about it.
Anythings possible, but based on my limited research, I think someone's pulling your leg...but if i'm wrong, feel free to point me to the news :D

keir

Stunt Coordinator
you are hurting your choices by confining them to the small amount of speakers that do have thx certification. the best speakers in the world aren't thx certified. the vast majority of audiophile grade speakers aren't thx certified either. thats not to say they wouldnt pass the certification if they were submitted...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Anythings possible, but based on my limited research, I think someone's pulling your leg...but if i'm wrong, feel free to point me to the news
Kevin - Check the link Mike posted above. No leg pulling here, although the story appears to have developed more complexity and Creative is apparently not the only party involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks