What's new

Polk LSi series speakers (1 Viewer)

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone purchased or listened to these speakers? I have read good things about them and am thinking of upgrading from Polk RTi speakers. Would also like to know if these are considered bright or warm speakers. Thanks

Chuck:

I recently listened to the new LSi15's at a local audio retailer. They were linked to Denon electronics and sounded nice. Very open and transparent...Imaging was keen and the soundstage had both depth and breadth. Perhaps a bit bright, but some would attribute that to the Denon which tends to display that characteristic. The bass was not overly extended, but was fairly tight and accurate. The bass woofer is mounted on the side of the enclosure, allowing you to direct it toward the adjacent wall or the opposite speaker. This helps make them less sensitive to room placement....a real help if you have a smaller listening room. The cabinets are fairly attractive, well-built, and the entire speaker offers new technical innovations recently introduced by Polk. Here's the best part, you can buy them off the Internet for around $1100 per pair plus shipping.

Regards......Peter

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,

Have you listened to any of the other Polk LSi speakers besides the LSi15? I'm ready to upgrade soon. Hope I can sell my RTi's for a decent price.
Do you think it is worth the money to buy the 15's when I will set them to small. I have an SVS 20-39 PC+ . Would some LSi9's work as well for fronts? Maybe LSi7's for back surrrounds, FXi50's for surrounds, and LSiC for the center channel. Thanks for the reply.

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
I have the LSi's in my HT (9/c/fx) with a Onkyo 600 receiver. I dont think they are bright. Maybe more warm. If you like your rti's, the the LSi's are probably a good upgrade.

If you're going to buy retail, you might want to listen to others in that price range as well, as it gets very competitive in the 8-1k range. Vienna haydns, the cheaper Sonus, B&W 60X S3's/smaller CM's, etc all fit in that price. Go listen to a bunch of stuff. It's kinda fun.

Anyway, I think the Polks are decent, and if you look around you can find some good prices (less than retail), but you might like those others better or not.

Chuck Watwood

Stunt Coordinator
Walt,

I have the Onkyo TXSR800. I love it. I think it sounds good with the RTi's that I have. I will be upgrading soon to the LSi's. I'm glad they're a little warm. Thats good because the Onkyo's are rumored to be bright receivers, although I can't really see it.

Chuck:

A friend of mine uses the 7's both front and back. His system sounds pretty good and he is quite happy. When I visited the retailer he had both the 7's and 9's hooked up a couple different ways. Honestly, I liked the 7's better. The 9's had a bit stronger bass, but they seemed somewhat "boomy"....maybe "boxy" better describes what I heard. Besides, the 7's are a little smaller and would work better if you don't use stands. There are MANY good speakers on the market at this price point, but the 7's are a very competitive value. Hope this helps.

Regards.....Peter

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
The Lsi series are an incredible value and sound better than a lot of speakers costing a great deal more! I am extremely happy with mine! Bright or Warm? Tough call. I'd have to say Neutral, I have yet to hear any type of music that does not sound better on my Lsi's than it did on my Rti800's. Good luck with your upgrade.

Jeffrey_B

Agent
I second what Frank said. I purchased the LSi9/C/FX setup to go along with my SVS 20-39PC+. I'd say the Polks sound warm; not bright (I have a Sony ES30 receiver). For HT, they are great! If you like a brightr sound for music listening, you could always EQ with some treble. I'd say they are great speakers and unlike most others in their price range, can be purchased at a DEEP DISCOUNT if you search around. Good luck! JEFF

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks