Polk LSi questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron H, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at the Polk Lsi series and have a few questions.

1. The LSi9's are the ones I am thinking about for the mains. I really like the cherry finish. The center channel only seems to come in gloss black. And the the LSiFX speakers only seem to come in a black matte finish. Does this strike anyone as odd how you can't even match up the look of all of these speakers in the same series? Does anyone who has these notice a problem with integrating these into their surroundings?

2. Can someone explain what the bipole/dipole switch on the LSiFX speakers would be used for? I'm not too sure I understand the whole bipole/dipole thing.

3. Is anyone here using a Denon 3802 or Sony 5ES to drive their LSi9's? I was reading the forum over at the Polk site and saw a few comments where it was stated that the 3082 could not push the LSi9's very well. I would have thought a receiver on par with the Denon or Sony would have been more than enough to drive these.

Any other comments on these speakers would be welcome!

Thanks!
    Aaron

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Aaron,
    I've got the LsiFX, & center, and 7's (rear channels) and was hoping to get the 15's today. The trucking company showed up at my door step with someone elses Klipsch RF-7's instead of my 15's. The guy's address is in Texas. Pretty hard to screw that up, but they did!
    I have already set up the speakers that I listed and really don't mind the black gloss finish, looks pretty good actually. Stay tuned...I should have an updated site in the near future.
    As for the Bipole/Dipole issue, take a look at the link below.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/librar...C_FXManual.pdf
    Basically it is going to depend on where you decide to place the FX's. Mine are on the side walls, and the 7's (Cherry Finish!) are on the rear wall.
    Can't help you with the Denon/Sony questions, I'm running a Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX with 120wpc x 5 and a Pioneer Elite M-10X For the rear speakers.

3. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Aaron,
    1. Dont' forget that all the LSi speakers have the piano gloss finish on them. The LSi9s, 15s and 25s have the cherry finish on the sides only as more of an accent. I think they match very well especially the LSiC, because it blends more with my HD set.
    2. Check this link , as it offers a better explanation of what the different modes are. Basically the switch serves to change the disspersion pattern from in-phase to out-of-phase.
    3. I'm not sure on the receiver, but it would seem to me that the 3802 or the 5ES should have no problem running these speakers. When I got my speakers, I ran them from an Onkyo 777 with 105 w/channel @ 8ohms. It worked perfectly.

I love these speakers and I'm sure you will enjoy them. There are others on the forum that own them as well. Maybe they'll chime in too.

My setup;
    • LSi15s
    • LSiC
    • LSiFX
    Troy

4. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info, guys. I have learned (I think) that the switch on the LSiFX's is a 1-time thing, depending on where you choose to place them. I thought this was a switch that you would switch on/off depending on what you were listening too - either home theater or multi-channel music.
    Thanks for the comment on the finish too I guess I sorta figured that they'd all match nicely, but reading the descriptions, it just didn't make sense.
    Re: the receiver. The thread was specifically about the 3802 and the LSi9's. I guess they are 4 ohm speakers and the Denon had a hard time driving this load. I guess that means I'll need a seperate power amp. [​IMG]
    Thanks!
    Aaron

5. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I have the same set up as Troy, and I agree the Wood Finish accents the gloss black. They look very nice together.

I'm powering them with a Soney ES-9000 amp so I'm not sure if a 3802 would be enough power. Polk does recomend a seperate power amp though.

6. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i dunno if this is common knowledge or not....but i just got my new crutchfield magazine and they are offering the LSi series now.

7. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I'm using the Lsi system (25's, C, FX) with the Denon 3802 (preamp) into a EAD PM 1000. The FX sound great on my side walls in dipolar mode. Totally immersive, but I wouldn't try to run them through the 3802's amp. I have a hunch that 4 ohms into that amp section would fry it in no time. These speakers needs TONS of power! But they're worth the expenditure of a separate amp.

8. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

Frank,

While you're waiting for your mains, is there any chance you could run the 7s as L/R? Are they mounted on the wall?

We're looking for a kid-proof speaker solution, and the LSi7s are supposed to sound pretty good on the walls. No one has been able to give a review of how they sound. Any pics?

Thanks!

9. Frank Zimkas

Warren,
    Actually I did hook up the 7's as soon as I got them. The following is a brief "Review" that I had originally posted on the Polk Audio Site.

I hooked up the 7's in place of my current mains (RT800i) just to have a listen. Keep in mind that the 7's are destined for the rear wall.

Incredible! I was blown away by these little gems. Crisp, clear, and wonderfully rich sound. The last time I heard anything like it was when I still owned all of my Carver gear and my SDA-2B's.
    e rear wall.

The Lsi7's are a great sounding speaker and would make a fine addition to your theater, but you might want to try the 9's also. Either way you may want to add a sub for the bottom end.

I hope to have my site updated soon...maybe even today!

10. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

11. Frank Zimkas

Warren,
    Here's a link to the Polk Audio forum.
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/
    I have not had time to write a better review yet. I've been to busy listening to my new speakers....Go Figure!
    Stay tuned, I'll try to get one posted soon.