What's new

Polk LSi line:in the same class as Paradigm Studios??? (1 Viewer)

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
I recently had the chance to demo some Paradigm Studio speakers and I now understand why they have such a large fanbase on this forum(smooth, refined, accurate, and detail to BURN!!!)
I have also heard some good things about Polk's new LSi line of speakers recently and I was wondering if anyone who have heard both could say if the Polks are in the same class as the Studios, sound quality-wise.
There are no Polk dealers anywhere near me who carry the LSi's and I was wondering if they really are as good as they say.
While both speakers are in the same ballpark price-wise, Polk's LSi line is pretty tempting since it features the LSi FX switchable bi/dipolar surrounds (ala the M&K THX-150s).
If these badboys can sound even 80% as good as the phenomenal Studio 20s and 40, I think I might have a winner :D

Alex F.

Second Unit
Kelly:

I have only a moment to respond. I did audition the Paradigm Studio 100s before purchasing Polk's LSi-25s. The Studios are quite fine, but to my ears the Polks are much smoother and offer a bit more detail through the midrange and treble, and have more air and ease in the upper frequencies. I also prefer the Polk's wider and deeper soundstaging, along with their precise imaging. Also, to my ears, using the same reference CDs, male and female vocals sound more natural and relaxed via the LSi's. Overall, I find the LSi's to be more refined in their reproduction. My wife and I chose the LSi-25s over worthy competitors costing up to about $10,000 a pair.

I do hope you find a way to compare the competing products yourself. A personal audition is the only way to really know what would make your ears the happiest.

Happy listening!

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Kelly,
I completely agree wtih everything Alex said. A year ago, I had my speaker choices narrowed to the 100's and the PSB Stratus Gold i, both excellent speakers. I chose the PSB because I thought the treble was a bit smoother and the bass more defined. They sound very similar,though, to my ears. Like Alex, I now own the LSi 25's, and right out of the box (the day after), I can already tell that they far surpass either of the aforementioned speakers. The detail, clarity, imaging, and smoothness in the treble and midrange are in another league altogether. Check out my brief comments on the Polk LSi threads. do yourself a favor and demo the LSi line, if at all possible.

Regards,
Jan.

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
WOW, those are some impressive testimonials.

So it is possible that the Polks actually *exceed* the performance and sound quality of the Paradigm Studios?

I understand sound quality is subjective and all, but products such as the Panny RP-91K, SVS subs, Outlaw 950 and Paradigm speakers aren't recommended on this forum by mere happenstance, no?

Basically, everything that I have had a chance to see or hear that was recommended by this forum is as good as was hyped.....I trust you guys....

gotta give those Polks a listen now.

BTW Alex, you mentioned the Polks were competitive with other speakers you demoed costing up to 10K. Which speakers did you compare them to?

Also, whatever speakers I get will probably be mated to one or two SVS (probably in the PC+ or CS+ series). Because of this, I probably could do without the full-range LSi 25s.

I was thinking something more along the lines of the LSi 9s (maybe) or the LSi15s (probably). Which of these two do you think is most like the Studio 40? I actually prefer the sound of the Studio 40s with a sub (I believe it was a Velo HGS sub I heard with the 40s) than the 100s by themselves.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I also agree with the other comments here. I've logged over 20+ hours listening to the Paradigms (I have a dealer that's about 1/10 of a mile from my house!).

I think the Polk's edge out the Paradigms in overall clarity and tonal resolution. I also preferred the Polk's bass response to the dual 8" Paradigm Studio 100s (I have the LSi15s).

The Paradigms are great speakers, but IMO the Polk's were just a notch above.

Take a listen and really decide for yourself. If you happen to have a Soundwaves in your area (not sure if they are just midwest), they carry both lines.

I think that Alex was referring to the Vienna Acoustic line, check the above post to be sure. He has a review of the LSis and a follow up. I also posted my preliminary review there on the LSis.

Troy

Alex F.

Second Unit
Kelly:

We preferred the the LSi-25's overall sound quality over some very high-quality products, such as, among others, the Dunlavy SC-IVa, B&W Nautilus 803 and 804, Martin-Logan Prodigy, Vienna Acoustics Mahler and Beethoven, Vandersteen 3A Signature, and Sonus-Faber Concerto Home and Grand Piano Home.

I have never been much of a Polk fan (nor Paradigm fan either) when it comes to higher-end loudspeakers (although I have been impressed in recent years with both brands' mid-fi bookshelf speakers). These new Polk LSi models though, to our ears, are truly high-end, extremely musical, and very special.

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
We preferred the the LSi-25's overall sound quality over some very high-quality products, such as, among others, the Dunlavy SC-IVa, B&W Nautilus 803 and 804, Martin-Logan Prodigy, Vienna Acoustics Mahler and Beethoven, Vandersteen 3A Signature, and Sonus-Faber Concerto Home and Grand Piano Home.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
:jawd rop:

OMFG!!! that list is MINDBLOWING!!!!!
So you mean to tell me the Polks give honest-to-goodness high-end sound????
I have heard a Nautilus 803, Sonus Faber (don't know the model #) and some Martin-Logan Electrostatics before and the sound quality (especially with those B&Ws) was unbelievable.
Those speakers are, IMO world-class products. I had no idea the Polks were *THAT* good :eek:
Without question, those speakers are a cut above the Paradigms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks