Polk LSI 7 or 9?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GuyL, Jul 20, 2002.

1. GuyL

GuyL Extra

I haven't been able to audition these yet, but was wondering how the LSI 7 would do in a 14x17 room pushed by an 65wpc H/K 320? Low end will be handled by my SVS 25-31. Would it have enough output to fill my room with loud clean sound or would I need to step up to the LSI 9? Also, does anyone know if my H/K would be able to handle the 4ohm load? And lastly, would these speakers be good for hard rock or would something like Paradigm Monitors or Studios be a better fit?

2. Paul Seyfarth

Paul Seyfarth Stunt Coordinator

I am wondering this same question.

I think H/K recievers can handle 4 ohms, although the polks are closer to 6 ohms.

3. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

The HK 320 will be able to handle the 4 ohm load of the Polks.

The LSi9 wil sound cleaner then the LSi7 due to the extra driver. The single driver in the LSi7 has to produce mids and mid-bass. In the LSi9 you have one driver dedicated to mids, and another driver dedicated to mid-bass.

4. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Guy:

I get the impression you'll be playing hard rock very loud. If so, in your fairly large room you would be better served with the greater output capability and wider dynamic range of the LSi-9s versus the LSi-7s (the LSi-9 uses two 5.25" drivers to handle the low/mid/upper bass range).

The LSi's are impressive with any type of musical genre, including rock. For instance, I let my LSi-25s really rip with the "Who's Next" CD.

I'm not familiar with your H/K receiver, so I'll leave that inquiry to others.

5. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

Polk LSi9 requires good amplification for critical music listening. Not only it has to be able drive 4ohm, it also has to be able to *control* the drivers effortlessly. This Polk really sings when mated with good amp. I have not tried byamping but I can imagine the result [​IMG]
    Nico

6. GuyL

GuyL Extra

You're right Nico, here's the response I received from Polk:

Hello,
    Thank you for your interest in our LSi series speakers.
    It is not really a matter of the LSi 7's having enough output capability, it is a matter of giving them enough power to be able to reach the high volume levels you desire. While HK makes an outstanding product, 65 watts per channel is not really enough power to utilize the LSi's to their full potential. To get the peak performance from the LSi series you really need upwards of 100 watts per channel, separates are really the way to go. Using a receiver/power amp with plenty of good clean power will really make the LSi7's shine and give you the performance it sounds like you are looking for.

Best regards,
    Lauren

Guess I'll have to keep my eye on Ubid for a Parasound 855 to come up.

7. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

GuyL,

I don't what you preference (music/ht) and your budget but here are my recommendation:

Get Polk LSi9. They're not the best but at their internet price, they're excellent value.

then for the amp
    IRDAudio MB100 (I owned)
    Odyssey Stratos (currently drive my Polk LSi9)
    Or used Aragon 8008ST or BB series

Nico

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Guy,
    For mains, get the LSi9 and forget about the LSi7. I have no doubt that the bass will be significantly better with the 9.

9. GuyL

GuyL Extra

My preference is about 50/50. I like music with a lot of punch, energy and dynamics. The amps listed above are really nice, but over my budget. I have set aside $500, so I will be going the used route and I was thinking something along the lines of a Parasound 855 or Sherwood 9080. So, can anyone tell me how the sonic characteristics of a Paradigm Studio 40 would compare to the LSI 9?

10. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

The LSi9 has a better tweeter, that ring radiator is just plain sweet.

The studio 40 has alot more grunt, with response down to 34hz.

the best thing to do is go out and listen to them.

11. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Mated with any SVS the LSi9 will produce bass plenty low and your SVS can handle the rest.
    The one advantage to the LSi7 over the LSi9 is that it can be wall mounted easily. But unless you're concerned about size get the LSi9s, having two woofers does help them out.
    I've had both the LSi9 and now LSi15 in my house, and both are truly excellent speakers, I went with the LSi15 because I thought both of them sounded terrific and I like the look of the floorstanders in my system (the extra bass doesn't hurt either [​IMG])
    Brian