Polk LSi 25's - What Next? Recommendations needed!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jan H, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

With the powered woofers having to be plugged in, they are becoming logistically difficult to deal with, though they are the best speaker I've ever owned, and the best I've heard under 3K. I don't expect to be blown away by whatever my next speaker set-up is in comparison to the 25's, but hopefully, any recommendations will be in the upgrade stage, rather than lateral. First, let me tell you what I preferred the 25's to: The Paradigm Studio 100, the B&W 9nt, and the PSB Gold i. I really want Martin Logans, but the girlfriend can't stand their looks [​IMG] . I've got my eye on the Monitor Audio GR 60's and maybe Dynaudio Contours. Throw some recommendations out there, friends, in the $2500-3500K range. Much obliged.[​IMG]

Oops, I better mention my gear:

Integra DTC-9.4 pre/pro
    EAD Powermaster 1000
    Denon 2900
    DH LABS Q-10 speaker wire
    Homegrown Audio Silver Lace IC's

Thanks for any help!

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

The Paradigm 100's sound great w/ quality amplification. They sound thin w/ most receivers.
    The Martin Logans (Aerius i) have a huge soundstage. The imaging is a little tough to get right, but so is the sound. They are currently being powered by an Onkyo 989 flagship receiver. They sound better w/ a separate amp. The highs are rolled off w/ the current receiver.
    The Monitor Audio Gr60's are my favorite. They just do somthing right w/ the music. They would be my pick. I'd like to A/B them. I have only heard them in different locations.
    Good Luck.

My former roommate offers the Monitor Audio line, so those Gold's will be on their way soon.

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Meeow![​IMG] .and you not even married yet! Tell her it's for the ear,not the eye.[​IMG]
    My recommendation is Magnepan: either the 1.6 or the 3.6 models.

4. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

LSi15's or LSi9's with a seperate powered sub or two?

5. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Thanks, guys.

I think this is where I'm headed. Before I pull the trigger, though, can any of you speaker gurus comment on the likes of Revel Performas, Sonus Faber, Dynaudio, or any other speakers in the price range I listed that you feel would best the LSi 25's? I'd like to audtion these, as I haven't heard them. I really appreciate any and all suggestions.

6. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

You know, you're better off not messing with the Magnepans anyway......I've had the MMGs in my house for about three months, and now most everything else sounds like crap. Well, maybe not like crap, but it's just not the same...... :b

7. Frances_H

Frances_H Stunt Coordinator

If I were you, I would check out Sonus Faber Grand Piano (Tweeter and Magnolia/BB carry 'em) One thing that could be your next bottleneck of performance would be your Integra. This is by no means a knock of your gears, rather, a recommendation of what can be next on your list.

I have an all LSi's systems, 2 channel (LSi15 and Krell 400xi) and HT (LSi9/Fx/C/7/REL Storm III and B&K Ref50/AV125.7)

LSis mated really well IMO, with B&K and Rotel. I have spend an extended amount of time auditioning SF Grand, and if you like LSi, SFGP would be a very nice lateral upgrade from LSis. But having said that, I don't believe you have exhausted your options with the LSis. I know it is a pain with the 25, with its built-in powered sub (the reason I went with the 15), but if I were you, I would upgrade the amplification and or source first, before replacing the LSis.

8. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Actually, I think the Integra sounds better than the B&K and, to me, was the best sounding pre/pro in my range (about 2k). Same with the EAD amp. I don't think there's a better 5-channel amp out there for the money. But thanks for the SF Grand Piano idea. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about this speaker and will try to find a place to audition them.