Polk experts - need center to match old RTA11tl

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Royster, Dec 8, 2001.

1. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

So I need a center channel. I've heard how important a good match between R/L and center is. Given that my speakers are over 10 years old (love every bit of them, often [​IMG] ) what model would be a good match sonically? price really isn't an issue.
    This is powered by a denon 3802. thanks in advance.

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Call up Polk and see what they think. I used to own some POlks, and they have really good customer service. Basically, I would think you have 2 options:

1. just get something like a Polk CS-400i, which is a great center channel, but maybe not the closest absolute match with what you have right now.

2. Audition as many center channels as you can from different brands, and see which one matches the old Polks the best. This could be really time consuming, and you might not even notice the difference between what you end up with and something like the CS-400i in the end.

Good luck!

3. John Royster

Thanks for the input. I've been looking at the 400. nice speaker for under $400.

The quandry comes when I start thinking about getting new mains as well. I don't want to have to buy another center channel again.

yeah, their customer service rocks. Want to start looking at B&Ws, maybe they can match well.

4. Kevin Eckhardt

Kevin Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Polk has a page on their site for their recommendations of current model speakers to match with older models. They also recommend the CS400i to go with the RTA-11's. Here's the link:
    Matching Vintage Polk Models
    Kevin

5. John Royster

update -

picked up a cs400i today. love it.