polk cs175/245 vs jbl n/s center

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Farley, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Hi Guys!

I'm building up my system piece by piece, and for now, I'm looking for an inexpensive, good sounding center channel that will last around for a while (until I upgrade to higher level.) Right now we have Boston Acoustic A60's as mains (pawn shop! yeah!) and Realistic Minimus-7's for the surrounds. What would you consider a good center for this system? Eventually, I want to purchase a vandersteen, magnepan, or martin logan system (when I win the lottery, right?) but I'm thinking of the cs175. What do you all think of the sound quality of this speaker? I've noticed that there's only one midrange driver, over to one side. Has anyone with this speaker noticed that the sound isn't "centered"? also, is it worth the extra 50 bucks to go to the 245? And how would you contrast the sound quality with the jbl's? I'm also thinking about resale value via ebay.

2. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Hello?

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Yes...it is definatly worth the extra 50 bucks going from the 175 to the 245... I personaly run polks and like the center channel... I'm not sure how well they will blend with your fronts...that is more important.... JBL makes some nice stuff... but I Personaly like the polks better by experience.... then again..most places you buy polk and jbl..you have 30 days... if ya dont like it..take it back

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Unless you plan on upgrading the Bostons to JBL or Polk to match the center, you are wasting your time. It is VERY important to have the 3 mains timbre match. The rears are not as critical, but should also match for the best sound. I understand budget limitations and all... I prefer Polk's tweeters, but the JBLs do sound good also.