Polk audo speaker- - Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by balwinder, Dec 7, 2001.

1. balwinder

balwinder Extra

Hi,
    I am considering buying Polk audio speakers but I am not sure if there is better choice for the $. Here is what I looked at: Front Floor standing speakers RT800i @ $640 pair, Center speaker CS400i @ $280, Subwoofer PSW450 @ $350, and Rear speakers RT25i @ $195.
    The receiver I am planning on getting is Sony ES Model: STR-DB1070, I can get a deal on this for about $400.
    What do you guys think about this system?
    Thanks for help.
    -Balwinder[​IMG]

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Sounds good.. I run Polks and like them. You can ...always of course find better speakers.. that is a given.... but for the dollar..Polk is great. The only thing I'd change would be the sub. I'm not a big Polk sub fan... suggestions would be velodyne, HSU, PSB..and there are more...

anyway..good luck... thomas

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 1070 is NOT an ES model it is a DB series. The DB series only has the AMPLIFIER section from the ES line, not the processing which is just as, if not more, important. If you must get Sony, ES is the only way to go, IMO. You'll have to look at the DA3ES or another brand. Marantz, Denon, Onkyo...

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Balwinder,
    That is a great set-up.
    I have all Polks and love'em. I have the RT55s for mains, a CS400 and the RT25i's for surrounds. You might want to consider the RT55s over the 800s. I found the RT55s to have a tighter harder mid-bass punch and not as boomy sounding as the 800s. Of course placement will have a lot to do with this. Make sure the 800s are not in corners or near walls. The RT55s might save you some cash you could then dump into a bigger sub.
    I know Polk revamped all their subs no to long ago, but I have not heard'em. I have a Velodyne which is excellent.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]