Polk Audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis_R, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

I was just wondering what your opinions on Polk Audio speakers are... I have a couple sets and I like them...but I am upgrading to a THX certified reciever and want to get some opinions.....the speakers are about a year old

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Well, I've always enjoyed Polk's sound. My daughter has some RT35i's in her bedroom. They've been used for both music and home theater. Some people bash Polks, but I personally don't think it's justified. They have a nice sound and represent good value for the money.

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Which Polks do you have?

4. Paul Seyfarth

Paul Seyfarth Stunt Coordinator

You could go with the Polk LSi series, they are great speakers. I like there sound much better than there rt series. You should go listen to speakers.

I personally would get the LSi's over any other speaker in that price range and even some that cost quite a bit more.

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

"I personally would get the LSi's over any other speaker in that price range and even some that cost quite a bit more."

Ditto - this is Polk's most musical and detailed series yet - their best ever. Rave reviews just keep pouring in. This line is a giant killer in terms of performance per dollar ratio.

Regards,

Ed

6. Shannon W

Shannon W Stunt Coordinator

Travis_R:
    I have just bought a complete Polk Lsi Package and don't even know where to start. First of what I bought was one pair or Polk LSi9's,one pair of polk LSiFX's,one pair of Polk LSi7's and a Polk LSiC. Im running all this off a Sony Str-Da4ES receiver for now im getting ready to buy a Rotel Rb-1050 for the Lsi7 and a Rmb-1075 to run the rest.
    As for the sound, "Unbelievable!" it was crisp,clean and it was for a fraction of the cost of other speakers with this type of quality.But then again i was used to what Bose sounded like.

7. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I have the Polk rt-25i speakers and the cs-245i center and they sound great for the amount of money that I spent. I know there are better speakers out there but this is my first home theater setup and I had to buy all of the components. Currently Crutchfield has the rt-25i speakers for $99 each. I do not think you will find a better speaker in the price range. As for the LSI, I have heard a lot of good things about them. I just wish someone in Augusta, GA had some to listen to.

8. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Have you tried doing a dealer search on the Polk Audio Website?
    I know everyone that reads this will think I'm nuts...but I bought my Lsi's without auditioning them first. Nobody in my neck of the woods had them, but since I've been a Polk fan for years I figured What the Heck! Turns out that the reveiws I read were right, an incredible speaker for the price! I know different people like different speakers for different reasons, I love these and have no plans to upgrade for many years!

9. Shannon W

10. John Hester

John Hester Auditioning

I've had a Polk RM5400 satellite/subwoofer set for around 4 years and couldn't be happier. I personally don't like a lot of brightness and these speakers fit the bill nicely. I want a home theater system that delivers realism. There have been numerous situations where there's a ringing doorbell, or phone, or a baby crying in the background on a movie and I've had to hit mute to see if it's the real thing. The subwoofer is excellent and explosion scenes will shake the house. I've been so pleased with the Polk home theater set that I bought a pair of RT25i's earlier this year for music-only listening in another room. There's a review of the RT25i in Stereophile Magazine:
    Stereophile Magazine, Polk RT25i review
    Here's a quote from the article that pretty much sums it up:
    "the RT25i's combination of strengths exceeded by a wide margin the performance of any speaker I've heard under $1000/pair, and are more likely to be found on speakers costing much more than that."
    -John

11. Jeffrey_B

Jeffrey_B Agent

I too am interested in the LSi series. The retail prices though, are quite high, and Polk does not authorize internet sales for this model line (except for Crutchfield = too high a price). Have any of you purchased your speakers from the *discount* sites that I see are selling the LSi series for up to 40% off of list? Some of these places concern me as to whether they are legit, selling refurbisherd/damaged goods, etc. If any one has had positive experiences with these internet sites regarding the Polk LSi speakers, I'd really like to hearfrom you. If it is more appropriate to respond outside of this forum, please email me your experiences. I'm close to a purchase decision, but am a little afraid of buying these speakers online. Thanks JEFF

12. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

Shannon W,
    Small world! I grew up between Bluford and Wayne City and my wife went to school in Bluford.

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I run RT55's and a CS400 up front with RT25i's in the rear, all powered with Adcom amps. Excellent speakers / excellent sound, I highly doubt I'll ever go with any other speaker manufacture. Polks are very classy, great prices for excellent performance and build quality and their CS is top-notch as well.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

14. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I have two sets of Polks, an complete set of LSi's (15,C,F/X) running off of a Sony ES-9000 setup in my main theater, and a set of 4 RT25i with a CSi245 in my bedroom.
    Both represent a different price range of speakers and both are excellent. Polks customer service is also world class, my last set of polks are attached to my computer [​IMG]
    A while ago someone posted a site online that sold the LSi's discounted quite a bit. And it seems like most stores sell Polk's below MSRP.
    The only Polk product I've never really tried is their sub's. I'm long since sold on SVS's products, but if I need a smaller sub I'm sure I'll look at them too.
    I'll second Ron-P's comment about build quality, Polk is one of the few speaker companies that makes speakers with real wood that you can buy for $200 / pair. The RT25i is such a fantasic speaker in way way more ways then one [​IMG]
    Brian

15. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I have all an all Polk set up using a CS400i center, RT55i mains, RT55i front surrounds, & RT55i rear surrounds & they sound awesome. The only thing I don't like with these speakers is the black finish is actually wearing off at the edges of the cabinets & there only about a year old now. I've never used anything on them either other than a Cotton dust cloth.

I too have to say that the customer service is top notch, my center tweeter melted not long after I got it due to a defect. When I called them they told me to send it in & they would return ship it free by whatever means I ship it to them. When I shipped it I sent it by 2nd day air & they actually returned it by next day air.

What I thought was even cooler was the fact that they didn't care about taking the speaker apart to send just the tweeter which I don't think most places would allow without voiding the warranty.

16. Shannon W

Jeffrey_B:
    I bought most of my Lsi Speakers From http://www.soundpros.com That link is to Sound Profesionals out of Cal. I would and will do Business with them again.I've got about $2100 in my whole Lsi Set up. So if you have any other questions feel free to E-mail me.
    Jeff Braddock you wouldn't be related to a Gale Braddock would you? As for coming from around here that Cool. So what kind equipment do you have in you "HT"?
    Shannon

17. Jeff Braddock

I probably am. Hope that's not a bad thing! :p) If you have ever been over to Wayne City you would have probably seen the Marathon sevice station at the 3 way stop. Well, my uncle owns that and his 2 brothers worked there. What does Gale do? (I have so many relatives I can't keep them all straight :) ) My ht right now is a technics stereo recevier, cerwin vega tower speakers, and a sony sawm40. I plan on actually starting to get a ht setup. It will probably consist of a Denon 1603 or 1803,(can't decide but am leaning towards the 1803) and some Boston Acoustics speakers. Have you lived in the Mt. Vernon area long?

18. Shannon W

Gale works for Walgreen Distrabution "same as I".

19. Jeff Braddock

Do you know Leo Braddock or John Mayberry?

20. Shannon W

I work with John Mayberry. We work in the same department.