What's new

Polk Audio (1 Viewer)

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Ive compared the RTi6 with the B&W601. The Polks were much brighter. I ended up getting the 601s - then the 602s and the LCR 600.

Pick the center to match your fronts. This is very important.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Ive compared the RTi6 with the B&W601. The Polks were much brighter. I ended up getting the 601s - then the 602s and the LCR 600.

Pick the center to match your fronts. This is very important.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

I also did that, first with RTi70's and now with RTi150's. I had 5.1 with LSi7's and SVS PC Ultra playing and it was an awesome sounding setup. I will keep the RTi150's and RTi70 for center for now but when I move, LSi7's all around for HT and 2.1 channel music. RTi's will go to living room for casual listening. The LSi's are a huge improvement over RTi in sound quality, even on my 100WPC H/K AVR.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

I also did that, first with RTi70's and now with RTi150's. I had 5.1 with LSi7's and SVS PC Ultra playing and it was an awesome sounding setup. I will keep the RTi150's and RTi70 for center for now but when I move, LSi7's all around for HT and 2.1 channel music. RTi's will go to living room for casual listening. The LSi's are a huge improvement over RTi in sound quality, even on my 100WPC H/K AVR.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Rob, While I never had a chance to A/B B&W speakers against the Polks, I've never thought of the Polk speakers as being bright. In fact, my RTi8s are pretty laid back. However, upon one visit to CC to listen to the Polk speakers, the H/K receiver that they were connected to had created a very bright-sounding environment. Granted, the H/K receivers are not bright, but I didn't even attempt to get into the settings on the H/K to flatten the bass and treble a bit. I just headed to another CC store, listened to the Polks - on another H/K system, and they sounded great, and not bright at all.

Chances are, the receiver or pre/pro powering the Polk speakers that you heard may not have been adjusted properly. Polks are not bright speakers - well, that is, unless I'm going deaf. :frowning:

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Rob, While I never had a chance to A/B B&W speakers against the Polks, I've never thought of the Polk speakers as being bright. In fact, my RTi8s are pretty laid back. However, upon one visit to CC to listen to the Polk speakers, the H/K receiver that they were connected to had created a very bright-sounding environment. Granted, the H/K receivers are not bright, but I didn't even attempt to get into the settings on the H/K to flatten the bass and treble a bit. I just headed to another CC store, listened to the Polks - on another H/K system, and they sounded great, and not bright at all.

Chances are, the receiver or pre/pro powering the Polk speakers that you heard may not have been adjusted properly. Polks are not bright speakers - well, that is, unless I'm going deaf. :frowning:

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,

Polk makes great "bang for the buck" speakers all throughout their lineup. When shopping for the LSi line, you need to know that Polk has just recently changed the line some. Most changes are cosmetic I believe, but there may be issues matching stains, woodgrains, etc., between models.

With this change in mind, if you don't mind seeking out the previous models, some great buys can be had! Can you say closeout?!!

The only reservation I have about Polk is that there are better performance and values than their current subwoofer lineup.

Good luck and welcome to Polk ownership if that is your choice,

Dennis

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,

Polk makes great "bang for the buck" speakers all throughout their lineup. When shopping for the LSi line, you need to know that Polk has just recently changed the line some. Most changes are cosmetic I believe, but there may be issues matching stains, woodgrains, etc., between models.

With this change in mind, if you don't mind seeking out the previous models, some great buys can be had! Can you say closeout?!!

The only reservation I have about Polk is that there are better performance and values than their current subwoofer lineup.

Good luck and welcome to Polk ownership if that is your choice,

Dennis

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Dennis, I couldn't agree with you more. Clearly, there are dozens of better subs than those produced by Polk.

Mark.VG

Auditioning
I have owned Polk speakers for the past 6 years and have NO complaints about them. My set up uses the infamous CS1000p center channel which is an amazing speaker in itself, I would highly reccomend picking one up if you can find one AND have the room (it's a monster) The RT 2000XX's are also good bang for the buck, but are not quite as detailed at the high end as the new Lsi series. THe subs are neutral in my opinion, they do their job, not too boomy, just natural sound. Lastly, I am using the old LS/FX surrounds which match well to my front stage but are really lacking in the low end (missed in movies).. Throw a couiple of Acurus amps in the mix and you are set!

Overall, I hihgly reccomend Polk, especailly if you can find them on sale. (got most of mine ~ 40% off) Also look at B&W and Paradigm for other options in the price range.

Mark

Mark.VG

Auditioning
I have owned Polk speakers for the past 6 years and have NO complaints about them. My set up uses the infamous CS1000p center channel which is an amazing speaker in itself, I would highly reccomend picking one up if you can find one AND have the room (it's a monster) The RT 2000XX's are also good bang for the buck, but are not quite as detailed at the high end as the new Lsi series. THe subs are neutral in my opinion, they do their job, not too boomy, just natural sound. Lastly, I am using the old LS/FX surrounds which match well to my front stage but are really lacking in the low end (missed in movies).. Throw a couiple of Acurus amps in the mix and you are set!

Overall, I hihgly reccomend Polk, especailly if you can find them on sale. (got most of mine ~ 40% off) Also look at B&W and Paradigm for other options in the price range.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks