Polk Audio

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by AndrewWhi, Jun 9, 2004.

1. AndrewWhi

AndrewWhi Guest

I haven't seen very many posts on Polk Audio. What is there reputation.

Does anyone have the LSi25's, LSiC, or LSiW? How do they sound?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

There are quite a few Polk fans here, myself included.[​IMG]

Although I don't have own the 25's I have spent some time listening to them and was very impressed with the performance. They are a great option for people that don't have room for, or just don't want a seperate sub.

The LsiC is another great performer. The cascading crossover causes some to think that there's a problem because they don't hear the exact same sound from both drivers. The design is unique and really does great a great sound stage upfront.

I haven't heard the LsiW...yet. As far as I know it's not available yet.

The Lsi series speakers have received rave reviews here and elsewhere on the WWW. They offer exceptional clarity and detail without being overly bright.

Because the Lsi's are rated at 4ohms nominal, an amp (or receiver) rated tohandle a 4 ohm load should be used to power them.

3. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

If you want Polk feedback, you should go the Polk forum.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/

other good forums:

Rocket feedback: av123 forum
    Axiom feedback: axiom forum
    Tivo feedback: tivo community forum (can link from avs forum)

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I'm a Polk fan - currently running the RTi series. I didn't respond earlier because this looked like an LSi thread. [​IMG]

5. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Im a big Polk fan too. I have a 6.1 setup of the RM6700 series with a PSW303 Subwoofer.. amazing speakers [​IMG] just rock the house.

6. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i like polk

7. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Polk Audio is a survivor in an industry littered with short lived also-rans. Matthew Polk is constantly pushing the envelope with cutting edge build materials and technology to analyze speaker behavior in 3-dimensions, and has many design patents. Polk speakers have earned consistent high praise from professional and consumer reviewers alike, and represent an outstanding value.

Polks throw a nice soundstage with plenty of depth and width, accurate imaging with good inner detail, natural midrange, and detailed highs without sibilance. They also respond very well to equipment upgrades, with many owners astonished at the SQ improvements brought out by separates. I have had many music and HT enthusiasts alike walk out of my house after a demo shaking their heads and stating something to the effect that "I didn't think that Polks could sound that good". With some time taken to match equipment and optimize placement and room acoustics, Polks can and do sound that good. [​IMG]

8. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

[​IMG] Polk...

I've got the RTi series and its the LAST thing I'll upgrade...

- Cryo

9. kevin tate

kevin tate Stunt Coordinator

I also have RTi series, and I am very happy w/them. W/proper amplification, the LSi should even be better.

10. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

I love my RTxxi series. Can't wait to get some external amps/seperates for them.

11. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I have never heard anyting negative about this brand at all... I need to give them a closer look myself.

12. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Edward J M:

On the picture in your PB2-Ultra review (which was awesome)it looks like you have the LSi7(?) on top of your RTi towers...is this correct? Are you using the little LSi for 2-channel music and the RTi towers for HT? How do the LSi's and RTi's compare?

How does the Polk center perform for off-center seating in HT?

13. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

not sure he'll see this, chuck. you may want to pm him with specific questions. i do know that he just recently got someone with a fry's to pick up those lsi7s for him.

14. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Thanks Scott...

15. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I have R series Polks and love them. Awesome sound, very little $$$.

16. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I have R series Polks and love them. Awesome sound, very little $$$.

17. Edward J M

Thanks, Scott - I spotted it. Anything with Polk grabs my eye. [​IMG]

Plopping the LSi7's atop the RT800i's was merely the quickest and most convenient means of placing them into service. The RT800i is about 40" tall, and ironically that's about what Polk recommends for stand height anyway. I think they are a bit higher than optimum, but I placed a little book under the rear of each speaker to angle it down and that seems to work even better.

The LSi7's were calibrated with Avia, and I found them to be about 2.5 dB less efficient than the RT800i's. After calibration, they are pulling double duty as both 2 channel and HT fronts. Surprisingly, I found the timbre match across the front stage to be more than acceptable. Sure, there are definitely audible differences between the tri-lam and the Vifa ring, but both speakers sound more alike than different. For someone transitioning from RTi to LSi, mixing tweeters won't kill you, that's for sure.

For a summary of how they compare, check out Club Polk; ther are several opinions (including mine) floating around about the LSi7's vs. the RTxxxi or RTixx.

The CS400i is one of the best centers Polk ever built - period. It has essentially the same driver compliment as ther RT800i, except it uses a cascaded "2.5 way" crossover vs. a true 2-way xo in the 800's. Regardless, with a detailed tri-lam tweeter and two big 6.5" mid range drivers, this center channel throws a huge, natural soundstage that effortlessly projects into the room. I would imagine the same comments would largely apply to the CSi40 and the CSi5. The center channel makes or breaks HT, IMO and you can't ever skimp on this speaker in your line-up.

18. Edward J M

Thanks, Scott - I spotted it. Anything with Polk grabs my eye. [​IMG]

Plopping the LSi7's atop the RT800i's was merely the quickest and most convenient means of placing them into service. The RT800i is about 40" tall, and ironically that's about what Polk recommends for stand height anyway. I think they are a bit higher than optimum, but I placed a little book under the rear of each speaker to angle it down and that seems to work even better.

The LSi7's were calibrated with Avia, and I found them to be about 2.5 dB less efficient than the RT800i's. After calibration, they are pulling double duty as both 2 channel and HT fronts. Surprisingly, I found the timbre match across the front stage to be more than acceptable. Sure, there are definitely audible differences between the tri-lam and the Vifa ring, but both speakers sound more alike than different. For someone transitioning from RTi to LSi, mixing tweeters won't kill you, that's for sure.

For a summary of how they compare, check out Club Polk; ther are several opinions (including mine) floating around about the LSi7's vs. the RTxxxi or RTixx.

The CS400i is one of the best centers Polk ever built - period. It has essentially the same driver compliment as ther RT800i, except it uses a cascaded "2.5 way" crossover vs. a true 2-way xo in the 800's. Regardless, with a detailed tri-lam tweeter and two big 6.5" mid range drivers, this center channel throws a huge, natural soundstage that effortlessly projects into the room. I would imagine the same comments would largely apply to the CSi40 and the CSi5. The center channel makes or breaks HT, IMO and you can't ever skimp on this speaker in your line-up.

19. Joe Blech

Joe Blech Stunt Coordinator

I am wondering how the csi5 compares to B&W's LCR600. Anyone heard both and have any opinions? I am really torn between the two. I have heard both but never side by side and I am having a terrible time with the comparison. I can get a csi5 right now at Circuit City for only 249. I will be powering with a Denon 3802.

20. Joe Blech

Joe Blech Stunt Coordinator

I am wondering how the csi5 compares to B&W's LCR600. Anyone heard both and have any opinions? I am really torn between the two. I have heard both but never side by side and I am having a terrible time with the comparison. I can get a csi5 right now at Circuit City for only 249. I will be powering with a Denon 3802.