What's new

Polk Audio TSi 200 Book shelf speakers with Denon AVR 1312 (1 Viewer)

saifucmp

Auditioning
Real Name
saifula
Dear Experts,
I have plan to improve my sound system , Presently I have been using SAMSUNG 40 LED TV with Videocon D2H HD.I have plan to by Denon AVR 1312 and two polk audio TSi 200 Book shelf speakers,Could I get descent audio with this configoration , now I have no plan to use surround speakers later I will upgrade with surround speakers. My use is 70 % Movies and 30 % Music , my room size is 13 ft x 11 ft.
Plaese advice with your recommendatios
Thanks in advance to all.
Regards,
SAIFULLA

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As long as you like the sound of the TSi 200 that is all that matters.
And as long as the 1312 has all the features you need...then that is all the receiver you need.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What Sam said. I'll add that given you're using the system primarily for movies, there's a greater chance you'll be happy with the speakers. (Audio-only use tends to emphasize speaker shortcomings more than movie applications.)
Given the heavy movie use, you should consider a sub add on at some point. It would be fine to start with just a 2.0 system, but the additionof the sub will be beneficial.
At a lower priority than the sub, consider a center channel. Many people like the dialog enhancement that you get with using a dedicated center channel.

saifucmp

Auditioning
Real Name
saifula
Thanks to All..What about the combination of Denon AVR 1312 with Polk TSi 200..For small room like mine will this set up give a descent quality audio for movie watching.
Waiting for your advice.
Regards,
SAIFULLA

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The 1312 is a nice receiver and will be fine for your application. (I'm not a fan of receivers that don't offer Component out, but I'm fighting a losing battle on that one). There's no issue of receiver/speaker compatibility, just a matter of picking a receiver with the right features for you.
If your question is related to room size vs power - Some would argue that you could use a "smaller" receiver in that size room, but unless you are limited by cabinet size, might as well get a standard receiver. (I have a full size, 80w receiver in my 12x13 study.) Some might say that 75w is not enough, and they'd just be crazy.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Again...
If you like the speakers...that is all that matters.
Now on the 1312, personally, I(as in me for my use) would never own one. Why?
I have a Wii and VHS. I am a foreign film aficionado. Lots of foreign movies never even made it to DVD(it is shocking the movies that haven't made it to DVD...let alone BD). And, there are some movies that get ruined going from VHS to DVD(like taking out certain scenes).
The 1312 doesn't have HDMI upconversion. And it doesn't have component video as I use that for the Wii.
So...for me...I would never own one. I'd step up to a bigger brother that contained the two features I'd need.
I also don't buy AVR without a turntable input. So...
Do you have a turntable*?
Do you have a Wii?
Do you have VHS?
If the answer to all three is "no"...you are golden. Buy it.
*There are workarounds to "lack of turntable input"

saifucmp

Auditioning
Real Name
saifula
Hi Thanks to all.
Hi Schan,
I don't have VHS, turntable and Wii, and no plan to buy these in future.
I have plan to buy BD Player and Media player in near future, Presently my main source is Videocon DTH HD with Samsung 40 LED.
waiting for your further advice.
Regards,
SAIFULLA

saifucmp

Auditioning
Real Name
saifula
Thanks , I have seen some forum advises to go for Polk Rti A1 instead of Polk Tsi-200, actually I am a newbie in Hi-Fi audio, If I use only two bookshelves now which one is better for me ? What is the actual difference between these two series, I am not familiar with Hi-Fi Jargons..So seek your advice.
Regards,
SAIFULLA

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, now you ask a question that is answerable...
For the $50-ish bucks more money...you get....
1. Real wood laminate, instead of vinyl.
2. A lighter woofer made of kevlar and plastic, instead of paper lightly covered in plastic.
3. A better material surround for the woofer.
4. "Value" in years to come...
What does this mean for you?
1. Better "feeling" speaker. Wood is nicer to look at and touch. Do you care? (basically this depends on where you have to put them. If these are going to reside on a shelf and the only thing anybody is going to see is the grill...doesn't make any difference. But, if these are mounted on a stand, or on the wall, next to a painting in a real wood frame...the TSi will stick out like a sore thumb, the RTi will blend right in like they belong)
2. A lighter woofer is quicker. A quicker woofer, in theory, is more accurate. Enough "more accurate for you to notice"? How should I know...(could I tell the difference...more than likely)
3. The TSi woofer will probably need new surrounds in 10-15 years at the cost of about $15 each. The surrounds on the RTi will probably last more than 25 years and cost $30 each to replace.
4. In 5 years, if you get tired of these...and want something new. You'll have a hard time finding anybody to care about a pair of "mass produced" TSi 200. Trying to sell a pair of RTi A2 will result in people actually calling you to see if you still have them. (Scour your local Craigslist and Fleabay on the "prior" versions of these speakers...and look at resale values...the prior speaker are the Polk Monitor and the RTi...essentially drop the "a" ie RTi6/8/10 are the three most common)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks