What's new

Polk Audio Speakers advice (1 Viewer)

Peter L

Grip
Hi all. I don't know too much about speakers, and need some help. I'm thinking of getting the Polk RT800I or the RT1000I. THe difference is RT1000I has a power sub built in but it only has one mid range driver where as the RT800I has NO power sub but has TWO mid range drivers. I will also get a 12" subwoofer. My question is,

1-which is better? RT1000I with one driver with sub or RT800I with 2 drivers no sub?

2-What is the advantage of having 2 mid range drivers?

THanks,

Peter

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
The RT800i is actually a 2.5 way speaker. One mid comes in before the other. Thus in the mid to upper range only one of the mids is carrying the load, but when you get lower both are working to give better bass. Also two woofers can reach lower when working together. The 800 goes down to 42Hz whereas the 600, which only has one mid, only down to 45Hz.

Personally I think if you are getting a sub, don't bother with the powered towers. It will take more work to calibrate since the powered portion has its own volume adjustments. Also the 800's extra mid will problem give more mid and upper bass without straining. If you got a good sub, you should set your mains to small, which would waste a portion of the 1000, whereas the 800 would work real well in that situation.

Martin G

Second Unit
I have the 800's and I can tell you that they sound better then the 1000's.

I had bought the 800's the upgraded to the 1000's. After about 3 weeks i went back to get my 800's back. They sounded much cleaner then the 1000's and the difference in the bass was marginal. If you were going to not go with a sub at all I would suggest the 1000's, but with a sub the 800's will sound better

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I'll start off with..love em polks.. now with that said!

I had the 1000i's wich I chose over the 800's for one reason- The 1000's highs were more transparent. For some reason the polks with the dual mid drivers...hampers with the highs performance... heard this to on the 55i's.

Both are great speakers IMO and you wont go wrong with either. I upgraded my 1000's to 2000's due to the 6.5 and amp were a bit weak.. sounded good..but IMO weak. Take this into consideration. I currently have 2000i's,55i's,800's in my setup and have no plans to get rid of them.

since you will be using a sub.. probably a good idea like mentioned above..to put a bit more into that...then the powered towers...

I do have a sub with my 2000's... its the velodyne ct150- a real monster...but I have a large room to cover..

anyway good luck..and do some criticle listening before making your purchases... take your favorite movies/music and audtion... then make "your" choice..cause thats who's opinion counts the most...

Thomas A.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I have a pair of 1000i's and I really like them. To me the sound between the 800i's and the 1000i's was very similar and wouldn't justify the added cost. But I got mine open box so they were cheaper than the 800i's. :) To be honest, the powered subs in the 1000i's are nice but could never replace the need for a dedicated subwoofer. If you get the 1000i's you would be best of just treating them as almost full range speakers and set your crossover in your reciever to around 60hz.
Since you are going to be getting a subwoofer anyway, unless you can get a deal I would go with the 800i's. But look at it this way, you'll be happy with both, so no worries. ;)
Dan Hine

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks