Polk Audio RM7600

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PhilipGee, Jan 20, 2003.

1. PhilipGee

PhilipGee Auditioning

Philip
    Hello

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing the Polk RM7600 satellites and center speaker for my HT requirements. The size of the room is 16.5ft long, 12ft wide and 10ft high. I have a stud wall with hard wood floors.

I'm wondering if the Polk 350 with it's 10 inch woofer would be suffice for my room. Maybe I should be looking at a different sub entirely, any suggestions?

Also I'm thinking of marrying the Denon 1803 up with these speakers, would this be a fair match up? Or would the speakers be "too good" for the a/v receiver?

cheers

phil

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Those speakers would hardly be too good. I would seriously consider something else. For the MSRP price of that package, you can do better even with Polk's own bookshelf speakers. Look at the RTi28 or 38 with a matching center.

Definitely consider a sub from someone else.

3. PhilipGee

PhilipGee Auditioning

Philip
    Thanx for your reply John [​IMG]

I went back and had another listen to the Polks and then went and listened to some B&Ws from their 600 Series. I think the B&W might be a superior speaker. Also the B&Ws have a nice matching sub too, I think this'll look nice too. I want something that sounds great, but also looks nice too. The idea of having these black glossy blobs hanging off the wall didn't appeal - especially to the wife!

4. JamesKr

JamesKr Agent

I second the Polk bookshelf RTI28 and RTI38 speakers. They are much better than any of Polk's HTIB setups. I'm using the RTI38's matched with a CSI30 up front and RTI28's out back and the sound easily beats any HTIB setups I have heard, especially Bose. You will need a good subwoofer though.

5. PhilipGee

PhilipGee Auditioning

Philip
    Thanx for taking the time to reply.

I guess I was attracted to the Polk RM7600 because of the relatively small footprint that these speakers have. I am going to wall mount my speakers and run the speaker cables through the stud wall.

However, if the RM7600 aren't going to be my speakers of choice and I was to go for a bookshelf type speaker - as you're suggesting, then what about the Bowers and Wilkins 600 Series 3?

I've done a bit of a comparison listen between the B&Ws and the Polks and think that the B&Ws sound great - it's just a case of getting the wife to release more funds!

So the set up I'm looking at purchasing is:

B&W DM600 S3 - $699 (Surrounds)
    B&W DM601 S3 - $899 (Fronts)
    B&W LCR60 S3 - $699 (Centre)
    B&W ASW600 - $1299 (Sub)

These prices are in Australian dollars - this is where I'm currently residing. The B&Ws are British speakers and the exchange rate is 0.35, so hence the relatively high cost.

I'm seriously considering matching these speakers with the Harman Kardon AVR 4500 - this is an international model, which I don't believe is for sale in North America.

So after further consideration I came to the conclusion that since the B&Ws were probably better speakers than the Polks and then started to think that maybe the Harman Kardon is a better receiver than the Denon.

What are your thoughts on this change in direction?