What's new

Polk Audio R50 (1 Viewer)

LexusN

Agent
My local Fry's eletronic store has these for sale $99/each...are these good speakers?

I haven't listened to them, but when I was researching Polk's a few days ago, I read a few threads that said the RTi series is the way to go as opposed to the R series. But for $99, hey, if they sound good to you, that's a pretty decent price.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Rs are pretty crap.

If you want to get a discounted speaker from BB, CC, or GG at least opt for the RTis from Polk.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A friend of mine bought a pair for $99 each at Fry's last summer and is very happy with them. Especially when he saw they were "on sale" at Circuit City for $569. a pair! The tweeters on the new RTI series are quite a bit better but they also cost quite alot more. Not the best speaker around but one of the best values at that price. Lots of bass for 6 1/2" woofers. Fry's regularly has the RT30's for $69 as well but for only $30 more I'd stick with the RT50's. There was a noticable difference. Gene

Brent_j

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased all new Polk's for my HT. Some people dont like Polk but I think they are a great speaker, it all comes down to what you like I guess. I spent one Saturday afternoon listening to Klipsch, Infinity and Polk by the end of the day I purchased the Polks. The Klipsch came in a very close second and Infinity a distant third. The new RTi line has fantastic imaging I have come to know and love.....

thats my .02 cents.

Yamaha RX-V2400
Center: Polk CSi5
Fronts: Polk RTi10's
surrounds: Polk FXi3's bi-pole/di-pole
Subs: Polk PSW404 x2
All this = a fantastic HT and I think the RTi10's really shine on all music. :)

PierreAC

Auditioning
I had Polk CSi3 center
Monitor 4.6s for fronts
Monitor 4s for rears

(still have the 4s as they are fronts in the basement HT setup)

If you like the way they sound they are excellent speakers for the price.
I have always felt Polk provided a good clean flat sound reproduction.

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
I had the Polk R50. I second what Gene said. At $99 each, it's very good value for the $. Pretty decent bass and mid range, but the treble is a bit on the bright side.

SammyG

Auditioning
is it really possible to drop new tweeters into the R50s? Would you be able to plug and play or would you have to look into new crossovers....

I picked up my pair of R50s for 173 out the door at frys today, on sale for 79.99 each, I couldn't go wrong for my dorm room!

-Sam

P.S.... would it be conceivable to use R30s as rears or should I use a bookshelf like the R20. I am using an Onkyo SR502 reciever.

Jack Daniel

Auditioning
try elemental designs, they are car audio subs but they are amazing quality, if you build a big enough box, they will sound awesome.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sammy, I would think you could just drop them in. To be safe, you can go to the speaker forum at polk.com and ask the nice folks over there. As for towers as surrounds, I think it's a great idea if you have the space. But Fry's is also selling the R20's and R15's for something like $24 apiece. Hard to pass up. BTW, what are you using as a center, if anything?

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator
Extremely happy R50 owner here. Far from "crap" i'd say, and they're more than enough for my needs. I don't need my ears to bleed, so for moderate levels they're the best speaker I've had in my eight years in HT. Most naysayers probably haven't even heard them and blow them off because of their budget price. If they're bright, turn down the treble like I do. But hey, if you have an extra couple of hundred dollars burning a hole in your pocket, by all means look into the RTi's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks