Polk Audio PSW650 and Velodyne CHT-150

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisStierle, Sep 22, 2002.

1. ChrisStierle

ChrisStierle Auditioning

I am looking at these subs for a primarily HT setup. I am not so much looking for something that can “boom” pictures off of walls. I think either will provide the volume that I need. Instead I am looking for something with very tight bass response. Even though I will be doing mostly HT with this sub its response should be clean and quick enough to shine with music as well.

The reason I am focusing on these 2 subs is I am able to get these 2 at VERY good prices through work. I would like to hear from anyone that has either compared these head to head or anyone that has positive or negatives reviews of either.

Thanks,
    CS

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I run a couple of the 15" Velo's in the HT application Chris. Every once and a while I do find my wife running a cd. In the HT arena it does very well. It has been compared to the VTF-3 and came out very close with the edge going to the VTF not factoring in cost. The Velo does have the audio/video option which will tone it down and give it further extension. One did a very good for me but I like spl and wanted to have two so I could have them both just idling along. One will shack your house "Truly" so you would not have a need for two. Calibrated I think it does great with music for the money. Check out the reviews on audio-review and see what you think. One 15" will move more air and do a much better job for you than the Polk imo. Just how cheap do you think you can get the Velo for?

3. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about the Velo. I have a psw650 and don't think it is a very good performer. It does not go very low, in my tests it had serious rolloff at about 35hz. I have since replaced it with a svs 25-31cs+ and there is just no comparison. I put the psw650 on my computer system and it does ok there, it at least will beet most computer subs.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Polk is not known for making good subs, so I don't think there is much involved in this decision.

5. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Chris

The CHT-15 is a good sub for what you describe as your primary use. While not on the same level as an HGS, the CHT series do play music very well. As with any sub, you will need to do the set-up and calibration to get the best performance out of the unit.

I think you will find the CHT offers a wider useable frequency response. Some of the features included in the CHT amplifier offer a bit more flexibility and lower distortion.
    The CHT is a hard sub to beat, And your CC price just makes it a killer.

The polk is a nicer looking unit. Then it’s a 10 woofer in a fairly large ported enclosure

6. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I bet he can get any Velo for half of MSRP. Hmmm.. maybe he should consider the VELO HGS18 too.

7. ChrisStierle

ChrisStierle Auditioning

Thanks guys for all of the help. I was leaning toward the Velo anyway but I wanted to get a couple of other opinions.

Thanks