Polk Audio PSW250?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ChrisLazarko, Aug 14, 2003.

1. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Just curious on this unit and how good it's frequency responce is? How low can this sub usually reach. It is a fairly cheaper sub running only about $200 or so.

Thank you for any input, I am just inquiring about it.

2. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

It'll probably be strong to about 35hz and then trail off steeply after that.

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Its -3dB point is 40Hz and the power supply is only 50 watts continuous. In other words, it'll pretty much go silent around 35Hz and it probably isn't hitting 100dB at any frequency unless you've got some major frequency reinforcement by the room itself.

My advice: Polk subs are their weakest product. Save up for something better.

4. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy is correct. I believe IMHO that Polk offers some of the best cost to performance speakers around but their subs just fall a little short. For the money look at the Sony WM40 via the net or the new wm500 at your local Best Buy. If you can wait and save for awhile SVS is a no brainer for a killer sub at a great price. Good luck on your hunt.

5. Kevin Golding

Kevin Golding Stunt Coordinator

I bought one for my first subwoofer, and realized its shortcomings pretty quickly. Jeremy's right -- on an Avia sweep, it was pretty much silent by 35Hz. I built a Tempest based Sonosub to replace it and heard what I'd been missing. I would recommend just about anything else.

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well the good thing is it is dual-rear ports and that leads to a big enclosure behind the TV. About enough to fit maybe two humans in and when I put it in that corner it just blasts away and it sounds much better, although it can be garbled in turned up too high and in that corner.

Thank yo ufor opinions, I guess I will go and look at some new subs.

How about the Klipsch KSW-10, or does that fall kind of short as well?