Polk Audio and Marantz mix?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Fa, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Paul Fa

Paul Fa Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,
    I am a music and movie lover who cannot consider himself a audiophile when compared to the majority of people posting here. I have not invested heavily in sound systems since before they were integrated with video systems. I enjoy my friends HomeTheatre systems and have spent a lot of time on this website and others, and in shops large and small to try and bolster my education and my ear. My intent is to start with and very good speaker system and a good to very good A/V reciever setup and add good components as my budget allows. I have a decent DVD player, CD player, VCR and TV to use for now. I am considering a Marantz 8200 receiver coupled with the Polk Audio LSi series speakers. Specifically, the LSi25 mains, the LSic center, the LSi FX (switchable dipole/bipole) surrounds and maybe the PSW650 subwoofer. Does anyone else have this setup or something very close? How do you like the 8200 with the PA's? Would a separate powered subwoofer be redundant with the 10" powered subwoofers built into the LSi25 mains? Any other ideas to consider? Thanks!

2. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

My only suggestion is to not get the LSi25's just for the reason they have built in subs. I had rt2000 mains from polk with built in dual 8" subs in each speaker and was never satisfied.

3. Paul Fa

Thanks for the reply Chris. Anyone else want to take a crack at this? Are mains with built-in powered subs usually a worse option than passives with a separate LFE sub? Would there be any value to having both and being able to switch between them?

Anyone else have a 8200 with a 5.1 system in the $3,500-$5,000 range that they feel will be a better fit? My target room is aprox 24x22 feet with vaulted wood ceilings, carpeting, not much furniture and windows with wood plantation shutters. Thanks for the input!

4. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

A quick comment before I get going:

The built-in "subwoofers" of the LSi-25, like other similar designs, are actually powered woofers.

I have found that the overall bass performance of my LSi-25s is first rate. The powered woofer in each unit provides quick, clean, tight, detailed, coherent, and solid bass down to about the mid-30 Hz area. In addition, the woofer's variable output level control allows precise speaker-to-room interfacing. Another benefit of the powered woofer section is that it takes a great deal of the load off your amplifier, which will need only to provide power above about 80 Hz. (For instance, the power meters on my McIntosh amp rarely indicate levels above about 40 watts output, and they have never approached the 200-watt marking, even on the loudest music or HT passages.)

I run the Polks full range and use a Mirage subwoofer to provide bass into the lower frequencies. The sub blends seamlessly with the LSi-25s. The Polks and a separate high-performance subwoofer work very nicely together.

Happy listening!

5. Paul Fa

Thanks for the reply Alex. I'm glad to hear how happy you are with your 25's. I think they sound great - just haven't gotten them into my own room yet to test. What center and surrounds do you have? Anyone else with a similar set-up?

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I have the older Polk RT line; RT55's/CS400 and RT25i's. I also have an older Marantz SR5000. Absolutely love this combo. Although, I did recently add 4 Adcom GFA-535 amps and now only use the Marantz as a pre/pro. Polk and Marantz go very, very well together.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

We're using the LSi F/X surrounds, presently set in bipolar mode, which I've long preferred for combination music and movie use. I've yet to try the dipolar mode. The F/Xs are, as one would expect, an ideal sonic match for the mains. Highly recommended.

This system is in our "music/small theater room" (not in our large, dedicated theater room), so I opted not to utilize a center channel. My wife and I sit well between the LSi-25s and share a solidly anchored sonic center image. I prefer the imaging and soundstaging obtained without a center speaker in such situations. Of course, the system in the theater room, where we will entertain guests, will require a center speaker (this room, in a newly built house, is still filled with plenty of unpacked boxes--the number of boxes never seems to diminish!).

8. Paul Fa

Thanks Ron, Thanks Alex. Sounds like I'm on a good track! I was especially interested in hearing about the LSi fx's - I'd love to hear how they sound in the dipolar mode - switchability is very nice! Good luck on the new house and the new theatre room! I'm 5 years into a 15 year remodel on my house/property - kinda wish I'd just moved sometimes!!

9. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

You're welcome, and thank you for the kind wishes!