What's new

Politicians want anti-smoking PSAs on DVDs (1 Viewer)

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
They are going to do this on movies where people smoke?

Are they going to put a note on movies where people shoot guns, drive over the speed limit as well?

StephenA

Screenwriter
That's judt rediculous. Maybe I'm not the norm, but both my parents smoked, my stepfather smoked, as well as other family members, I saw the Joe Cool ads as a kid, and all that other stuff and I never started smoking. And I doubt this ad would stop anyone from smoking if they really wanted to.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I don't smoke and I never will.

But I prefer movies from the good old days - when smoking probably was considered somewhat glamorous and no one had heard of lung cancer and so on.

I also buy most of my DVDs from North America.

So, please. Please... :rolleyes

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
If they want to stop smoking this badly, raise the tax on the stupid things to $25 a pack. People will stop.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm all for people not smoking (although the choice is up to each person) but I don't know how a PSA will really do that. Especially when there's no one that smokes that doesn't already know it's bad for their health.

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhh! This is bad for me? Good thing I bought this DVD and found out." :)

That being said, all the politicians in the world can ask the studios to put these PSAs on their discs but I doubt it'll actually happen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

No, I'm saying that there isn't any person on the planet that doesn't know that smoking is bad for them. A PSA against smoking isn't going to be a news flash to anyone.

I'm sure other PSAs have had their intended effect but the negatives of smoking are quite well known.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

In my mind, the fact that the man who wrote "An Alan Smithee Film: Burn, Hollywood, Burn" thinks something is almost a strong enough reason to decide to think the opposite thing.

It is extremely poor logic to posit cause and effect from the fact that two statistics correlate, no matter how significant the overlap is. [Just as a for instance, off-the-top-of-my-head explanation, they could both be effects of having negligent parents.]

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Pretty soon we're going to need a second disk just for all the PSA's.

It's going be "Don't steal movies, don't steal music, don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't drink, don't have sex, don't masturbate, don't pick your nose and don't wear white after Labor Day. Please insert disk two to begin feature presentation."

Kain_C

Screenwriter

LOL. :D And don't forget, "don't skip through PSAs!"

I admit, Gregory Peck smoking in that famous scene from 12 O'Clock High made me start smoking. I don't really smoke anymore, but I didn't need some stupid PSA to convince me.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
And Judge Reinhold in that famous scene from Fast Times at Ridgemont High made me start ... um ... lusting after Phoebe Cates.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
like a lot of people on this site i ve watched movies all my life and my parents smoked their brothers and sisters smoked seen people smoked in movies and never wanted to smoke i dont even touch alcohol my only vice is diet soda and a great movie. people are going to smoke if they want to and i'm tired of this crap well i saw so and so in a movie and they smoked so i started smoking. saw han solo fly in space and dont like flying.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

If Judge Reinhold caused your lust for Phoebe Cates, don't watch any more Judge Reinhold films. Who knows who you will lust after the next time. Phoebe is a beautiful woman but Judge isn't exactly a romantic leading man and the next time you aren't likely to be so lucky.

Chris

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most films containing smoking mostly independent films aimed at adults? The Man Who Wasn't There comes to mind. I can't remember a recent film aimed at kids or teens to contain smoking. Ghostbusters is the only one I can think of.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
You forgot the maditory 4 -6 forced trailers, for movies that have nothing remotely to do with the movie you are about to watch.

This is such an issue of personal responsibility, that it is really inappropriate to have this on the front of a DVD. Put it at the end of the credits if you have to have it. My chapter skip button on the renmote is wearing out with all this crap.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator

My "The Fast and the Furious" DVD has this PSA!

I don't smoke, but I might start if I see enough of these PSAs. Does anyone remember when they wanted to make every film that featured a character smoking rated R?

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
What's NExt, Will We Have Anti-Junk Food propaganda on DVD's as well.

Dvd's already had enough dead air as it is with all of the Unskippable FBI Warnings, Coming Attractions, Anti-Piracy PSA's, etc. Why add something that has absoltuely Nothing to do with DVD's whatsoever?

The Us Goverment is becoming more like Nazi Germany all the time. :angry:

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Couldn't agree more, Kevin. When I first heard this
nonsense, my first reaction was "the village is growing,
and personal freedoms of choice are shrinking to the
point of almost being non-existent". Live and let live,
and leave us alone and let us be responsible for ourselves.
Good work if you can get it- become a politician, get
overpaid for it, and dominate and control the masses that
are paying your handsome salary.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks