Police Video Shows, and Police, Camera, Action!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Mar 11, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Anyone else watch these things? Being in the land of New Jersey, I can't fully comprehend the phenomenon that is the car chase. Although I'm assuming the folks out in CA get these on live TV all the time?
    I remember back when these shows first started coming out in 1996, in my senior year in highschool. During the summer, when things where kind of slow, I used to tape them for the kids who missed it, got permission from the teacher, and brought it in for the class to watch. We where mesmerized by 'em [​IMG]. After a while, they got kind of boring, but it's still a good show to have when their is absolutley nothing else on on a weekend..
    Question though. How come we havn't seen any new footage in the past few years? FX is having a Marathon of the show, wich probably indicates it's going off the air for a while. It would be nice if we could have some new footage once in a while...Maby a special on the 'Worlds Goofiest, or Strangest car Chases?'... For example, that one video where the guy in this dark green car misses the bridge, flies off the edge, and lands upright, roof on the pavement. He's completly unhurt, gets up, and walks away...

2. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

The one I like best if the footage of the teenagers in Louisiana or someplace: they're running from the cops in a small black pickup truck, weaving in and out of traffic dangerously, until they get to stopped traffic at a railroad crossing. The arms are down and the lights are flashing, indicating a coming train. Incredibly, they pass the traffic and attempt to cross the tracks -- only to be immediately OBLITERATED by the speeding freight train! The train vaporizes the truck! It's really astounding footage.
    Darwinian nature in action.
    The teens were on the run for like shoplifting some gum or something meaningless -- and it was so important that they felt that they had to get away from the police that they got themselves killed.
    I am not ashamed to say that I get a secret elitist rush seeing people being so stupid. I can't tear myself away from these things.
    But you're right in that they need updated footage. I'm tired of seeing the same old chases and "dumb robbers." As soon as I see that I've already seen the footage, I switch channels. I know that somewhere, at any time of the day, I can find reruns of Daisy Fuentes hosting "America's Funniest Home Videos." [​IMG]
    MC

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Funny I try and watch these shows when I am holding our sleeping baby. I can have the sound turned down low and still laugh at how stupid people and the actions they do are. I dont get it when a cop turns on his lights you PULL OVER. You dont step on the gas and when they ask you to do something you do it. I love when a cop tells someone to do something and then they just act stupid (well maybe they are) like they didnt hear a thing.

KyleS

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I'm stunned by the fact that when these people run from the police, they are still law-abiding enough to use turn signals during the high-speed chase. The mentality of some people - "yeah, I might've stolen this car, but at least he can't ticket me for not using turn signals!"