What's new

Police Squad? (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I too would buy this series. Would be nice. Then again...Paramount release a television show that isn't Star Trek? Okay, there is Lucy now...but if it weren't for Lucy, there would be no ST....

By the way...why is this one allowed another thread, yet when it is a horror title, and there is another thread somewhere in the archives, we are told to use search?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'll bite. I liked the TV show much more than the subsequent NAKED GUN films. My favorite bit was the "freeze frame" endings, where, of course, the frame wasn't actually frozen...

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Excellent show! I don't think I've seen all six episodes. It seems like whenever Comedy Central showed it they'd only show the same two or three over again. The freeze frames were classic (I loved the one where Nordberg came in late and struggled to find the right pose). I'd get these in a second if released. A ZAZ commentary would be nice as well.

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
I said it in the Top Secret! thread and I'll say it again. YES!!

Having this one will complete the ZAZ! collection.

Matthew Furtek

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I was pining for this just the other day as I was digging through the videotapes to pull all the redundant ones. I have a tape with all six episodes from a marathon I think USA (channel) had on about ten years ago.

The Zucker Brothers went to my high school and every episode had at least one reference to the school or area. Heck, even Top Secret used the school's song as the basis of the German National Anthem.

Aw crap. Now I'm gonna have to watch that tape...

-paul

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
This series is one of my all-time faves! :b
It seems to me that there was an opening that was shot but not shown given it's poor timing. The celebrity that was 'knocked-off' at the beginning of this particular episode was John Belushi who had died the week prior to the scheduled air date.
Not to sound morbid, but I wonder if this would be included in the set (as an Easter Egg perhaps ??):confused:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The freeze frames were classic (I loved the one where Nordberg came in late and struggled to find the right pose).
My favorite was the one where the chimp jumped around and threw the office papers all over the place when the people "froze".

I agree these are at least as funny as the movies. Another great sight gag is the episode "names"; one name is "spoken" by the voiceover guy and a totally different name is shown on screen.

My favorite episode is the "Sally Decker" one with the hilarious shootout in the end, with Sally and Drebin just a few feet apart. When she throws the wig in his face it is incredibly funny. This is one gag that works just as well in the movie when it is done with a pillow.

"Alright I'll eat it... But I don't think it's fair that I have to pay for it."

"Cigarette?"

"Yes, I know."

"Well."

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
"Why don't you run along now, Billy. Next week we'll discuss ten things you can do with a carrot."
------------------------
"Thanks for the help, Eddie."
"Piece of cake, Lieutenant."
"No thanks; I just ate."

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Captain: "Sergeant, take her away and book her."

Drebin shakes with two cops: "Sergeant Takeraway. Sergeant Booker."

Good, I loved that show. I also loved that one cop who was so tall his head and shoulders were always out of the frame.

FYI, the actor who play Nordberg in the TV show was Peter Lupus from "Mission Impossible."

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
These are some tidbits from the IMDb site. Let's see if Paramount clears these up if they release the DVDs:

[The home video versions of some episodes have changed music in some scenes. For instance, when they sing "Happy Birthday" at a birthday and when Leslie Nielsen sings Judy Garland tunes in the nightclub. Presumably this is due to a music licensing issue.

When initially broadcast, the first episode included a scene with Drebin walking past a homemade banner saying "Hello to Howard, Frank, and Dandy Don" - a la Monday Night Football, another ABC program. The banner is not on the video or syndicated versions.]

Jon

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I also want Police Squad on DVD. Police Squad shouldn't be too much of a hassle since it has only about 6 episodes.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Count me in for a must-buy purchase of this one. Classic television comedy, and funnier than the movies, which are incredibly funny themselves.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Since Cheers was announced earlier this month and just about every other studio is really getting into releasing TV product, maybe this year will be the year we get Police Squad on DVD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks