What's new

Police Squad? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I apologize if someone else has already mentioned this, but does anyone know of any plans to release the original Police Squad on DVD? There were only 6 episodes, so they might could fit on 1 disc, or very comfortably on two. With both Airplanes and all three Naked Guns out now, and with Paramount putting out Top Secret (thank you, thank you) this week, surely they've thought about the series that was the inspiration for Naked Gun.

Would anyone else want this? Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to get this series on DVD - I have it on laserdisc, but I have very few LDs left, and it would be nice to finish upgrading them to DVDs...

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Add me to the list of people that would love to have this television series on DVD.

Neil

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love this series on DVD. I've only seen the first three episodes when I rented them on VHS and would love to see the rest.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I always loved each episode's ending, when the actors would suddenly become still, mimicking the free-frame ending of conventional television shows.

This is hilarious, Mad magazine-style stuff. The Zucker brothers are funny.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
Not to mention the fact that these six shows were a million times funnier than the Naked Gun films. Check out the facial expressions on Leslie Nielsen. He played it all wrong in the films. Probably not his fault but it hurt the comedy of them. And the original actor who played Nurberg [sic] replaced by O.J. Simpson. Why? And Leslie's partner replaced by George Kennedy. Another big Why?
BTW, in that Paramount poll from last year Police Squad ranked around #7 with 37 votes and Martin Blythe said a few TV shows would be done so just maybe...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...?threadid=7008

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely purchase this series on DVD.
I especially liked the episode "Guest Starring William Shatner". Of course, he was killed off before the end of the opening credits, just like all the other big name guest stars in this series!! :)
Also, I loved the fact that for every one joke playing out in the foreground in this series, there were at least five "sight gags" going on simultaneously in the background. I remember one time they were driving through "Little Italy" to check out a lead and while they were conversing you could suddenly detect the Leaning Tower of Pisa and other familiar Italian landmarks in the background!
Mad Magazine stuff, indeed!

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Police Squad was a terrific series, and one that stands up to being re-watched every couple of years.
It would also make a great added value addition to a The Complete Naked Gun-type box set, if Paramount wanted to re-promote their existing discs. (As long as it's available separately, I'll be happy!)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I never knew there were only six episodes. I thought it was a complete series!

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I've said it in two other threads so far, so I'll say it again...This is my favourite all-time TV show and I'd love to see it released to DVD. I'll grab it no matter what, but whatever extras can be added would be hugely appreciated. It's not like the directors are averse to doing the occasional commentary...B-)

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
All-time best sight gag in the series:
"Let's go out into the Japanese Garden." :D

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I'll definitely purchase them when they are released on DVD! It's a shame that only 6 episodes were made.

Gregory

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks