Police Squad

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Stephen Wight, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight Second Unit

Stephen
    Does anybody think Paramount will release Police Squad,on dvd?There are only six episodes,to the whole series,so they could release it on one disc.

2. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

This is another one that I'd like to get but I haven't heard anything about it.

3. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Seems like a no brainer given the popularity of the "Naked Gun" films. It's probably just a matter of priorities for Paramount.

4. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    If Paramount were smart, they would release new special editions of the Naked Gun movies, each with two episodes of "Police Squad" as extras.

5. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

I have to say that I would much prefer a dedicated release of all 6 Police Squad episodes together with whatever bonus stuff they could fit in (not necessary, but would be ever so welcome).

Police Squad keeps popping up as a request every so often. Should be a couple of older threads knocking around somewhere.

6. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Hopefully, if these do get released, the audio re-dubs during one episode will be fixed...the episode in question is the one where Frank Drebin goes undercover as lounge singer Tony D'Wonderful, and the re-dubs take place during his act. One song he sings is a tribute to Judy Garland, and he's obviously singing "The Trolley Song", but in the old Paramount VHS it's dubbed over with a jarringly different voice singing a new sound-alike tune with nonsense lyrics, probably so Paramount wouldn't have to pony up $$ for the rights. The other redub occurs during one of his jokes, which goes thus: "My sister was so dumb, she came up to me with hot tar in her hand and said, 'Look what I almost stepped in!' " The "hot tar" is a redub by Nielsen; if you look at his lips closely, you'll see that he originally said "dog-doo". Now, why they changed that bit of innocuousness I'll never know...I never saw the series on its original run, so I don't know if these bits were intact then. I'm guessing that the song was changed only for home video, and the joke line was changed before the broadcast.

This series is an absolute CLASSIC.

7. Stephen Wight

Stephen
    It's too late for it to be released in 2005,but,hopefully, we'll see a release,in 2006.However,given Paramount's infatuation with a handful of their programs,I have my doubts.

8. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Let's hope the new Airplane DVD does really well and Naked Gun SEs follow, making a Police Squad set more likely.

9. Mike*SC

Mike*SC Second Unit

It was a music rights issue, yes, though the "jarringly different voice" is still Leslie Nielsen. I think the nonsense lyrics are funny, actually.

10. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson

Weird...he must have had laryngitis the day he dubbed that. Doesn't sound like him to me at all.

11. Steve_Z

Steve_Z Stunt Coordinator

There is redubbing because of abberant music rights in another episode. In "The Butler Did It", they originally had "Happy Birthday" played at the birthday party, but in the 1989 Paramount video release they redubbed it with an unknown song preformed by voice over actors.

I didn't know, "Happy Birthday" was copyrighted.

12. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

The tune of "Happy Birthday" isn't copyrighted, but the lyrics are (they were written to a public-domain tune). So if you sing the lyrics of "Happy Birthday" you do have to pay royalties.

13. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Anyone notice how Sgt. Nordberg was played by Peter Lupus (Willy from the original Mission: Impossible series) in the Police Squad! series and by O.J. Simpson in the Naked Gun movie sequels?

Other law enforcement agents played by white guys in the original versions and black guys in the remakes:

Robert Conrad and Will Smith as James West (The Wild Wild West)

Telly Savalas and Ving Rhames as Theo Kojak (KOJAK)

Not a big deal maybe, but figured I'd point that out. [​IMG]

14. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I'd like to see Dragnet with a black Joe Friday.

15. Stephen Wight

Stephen
    I think Samuel L. Jackson would make a pretty decent Joe Friday.

16. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Probably not, because as good an actor as Ssm Jackson is he wasn't able to pull off playing John Shaft in the remake of SHAFT. At least Richard Roundtree was around from the original.

17. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Probably not, because as good an actor as Ssm Jackson is he wasn't able to pull off playing John Shaft in the remake of SHAFT. At least Richard Roundtree was around from the original.

There was a horrible TV series remake of Dragnet in the 1990s that barely lasted a season. Another one in this century with Ed O'Neill that was almost as bad. In its second year the title was even changed to L.A. Dragnet. But the man who played Al Bundy wasn't a good fit in a serious role.

Long before both in 1987, Dan Aykroyd came close in a feature film comedy spoof in his portrayal of Joe Friday, but nobody else could ever replace Jack Webb! [​IMG]

18. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Actually the recent Dragnet series got terrific reviews. Critics loved it, but it didn't catch on with viewers.

19. Stephen Wight

Stephen
    I didn't think he was all that bad.Long before Married With Children he had a lot of series roles in movies and television.For example,he was in the Christopher Walken movie The Dogs Of War and guest starred in a Miami Vice episode.It's just that the role of Al Bundy typecast him.People were so use to seeing him,and liking him,as Al Bundy that they wouldn't accept him in any other roles diiferent than that,and Joe Friday in Dragent is about as Different from Al Bundy as you can get.

20. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Well, O'Neill also played Gene Hackman's French Connection character Popeye Doyle in a TV movie. I wasn't impressed. Jack Webb is the only true Joe Friday -- period.