BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I was rather furious they chose O.J. to play the part instead of letting Lupus reprise his TV role in the films.
Me too - but I understood the "name recognition" factor (and this was pre-freeway chase O.J. so...). Like you, I'd have much rather seen Lupus in the role.

ScottRE

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
What a wonderful surprise! It will certainly be welcomed in my house. The show should have run for years instead of just a few unappreciated episodes.
I agree it Deserved a longer run, but it would have gotten stale if it did IMO. The fact that it came and went so quickly kept it pretty fresh from start to finish. However, they were already reusing bits by the time it ended. I really did appreciate how the end credits evolved and they kept mentioning all of the people they put in Statesville Prison at the conclusion of each story...

Radioman970

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry

Always loved this. The best thing was that shot of the siren on the bottom of the screen going all kinds of crazy places. I think they did that one to the extremers in the movie if I remember right. hurt myself laughing.

btw, I just got the blu ray set for the Airplane movies and I think the first movie on blu is one of my favorites of all time. Watching it with all the stuff turned on, outtakes, interviews, etc inserted in is one of the greatest Ideas in home movie history.

AndyMcKinney

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Belushi was going to be the “guest star” in one ep but he died before they could film it.
I thought it had actually been shot, but they decided against using it, since showing him being 'murdered' so shortly after his actual death would have seemed to be in very poor taste.

Edit: Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

A scene with John Belushi, tied to blocks of concrete under water, was filmed but replaced with footage of Henderson, due to Belushi's subsequent death before the episode was broadcast. Belushi's death came as a shock to Zucker, Abrahams and Zucker, as they had joked about it after [Belushi] almost choked during the filming of the scene.

Radioman970

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
those guys are such great talkers. i wish they'd give all their movies the same blu ray treatment as airplane.

Remember Rat Race when they called everybody out of the blue at their homes like a morning radio talk show might? we found out Cuba Gooding Jr had a "naked household". lol I found out Rowen Atkinson is one of the coolest guys on the planet nothing like Mr. Bean.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
"Artwork Not Final" is very common in preview product where the artwork has not yet been finalized.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I agree it Deserved a longer run, but it would have gotten stale if it did IMO. The fact that it came and went so quickly kept it pretty fresh from start to finish. However, they were already reusing bits by the time it ended. I really did appreciate how the end credits evolved and they kept mentioning all of the people they put in Statesville Prison at the conclusion of each story...
Some shows are just too good to last. Of course, this is post-Fred Silverman pre-Disney ABC we are talking about. They really cleaned house with sitcoms in 1982, the year Barney Miller ended and Taxi got pawned off on NBC. Lots of others didn't make the cut for next year, the first in a long time without any kind of industry strike affecting the premieres of new TV shows.

But let me put it this way without going on too much of a tangent: Joanie Loves Chachi got a second season and this did not. That says it all.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
those guys are such great talkers. i wish they'd give all their movies the same blu ray treatment as airplane
Audio Commentary exist for all three Naked Gun movies and the Police Squad series on DVD. To the best of my knowledge, only the first Naked Gun blu ray retained them. I hope the commentaries for Police Squad don't get lost in the transition to blu ray.

11836Naked_Gun_2_1-2.jpg

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think I actually have this show on laserdisc but never bought the DVDs. This Blu-ray will definitely be mine.

Audio Commentary exist for all three Naked Gun movies and the Police Squad series on DVD. To the best of my knowledge, only the first Naked Gun blu ray retained them. I hope the commentaries for Police Squad don't get lost in the transition to blu ray.

View attachment 65850
That's why I kept the DVDs of the last two films. I also own the complete CD soundtrack of the entire trilogy.

A scene with John Belushi, tied to blocks of concrete under water, was filmed but replaced with footage of Henderson, due to Belushi's subsequent death before the episode was broadcast. Belushi's death came as a shock to Zucker, Abrahams and Zucker, as they had joked about it after [Belushi] almost choked during the filming of the scene.
That would fit right in with David Zucker having directed or co-directed the last works of Ethel Merman, John Houseman, and Gary Coleman.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
God, not Ed Helms, please. Didn’t he already kill the “Vacation” reboot?

I’m actually glad PQ didn’t get a second season. That was in the days of 22-episode seasons. I think that kind of effort would have killed the show (remember “Moonlighting”?)

Reactions: ScottRE

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It didn't help that they put it on Thursday night at 8 PM, the former home of the ailing Mork and Mindy. CBS was dominant there with Magnum P.I. while NBC launched Fame, which was very popular in the UK, around the same time.

remember “Moonlighting”?
I was a small child in the 1980s, so I was not allowed to stay up to watch it, but I do remember the publicity surrounding the cast feuds and production cost/schedule overruns. I never heard about too many fights on the set of thirtysomething, the show that came after it. Why were ABC's dramas at the time so much better than most of their sitcoms?

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddie O. L.