What's new

Police Squad DVD Series (1 Viewer)

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator

It was summer '91, when Naked Gun 2 1/2 was in theaters. I had recorded all six on VHS but lost them during a move later.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Part of what made this short-lived series really work was that it had no canned laugh track that was so stereotypical of TV sitcoms of the day, and that made the humor much more natural. Some people would laugh at the shtick, while others would probably scratch their head and think, "Hmmmm..." It's definitely one of the most underrated series ever, and it deserves a solid DVD release in either a 2-disc set with extras, or even as a single-disc release.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

You wouldn't happen to know the name of that show that followed it, would you?

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Thanks for making me almost choke on my carrot with that quote Rob...:)

And also that they didn't feel they needed to react to each and every joke. This allowed you to find the visual jokes on your own which made the laughter that much more enjoyable. There was no mugging for the camera either. In their world, apparently Japanese Gardens do indeed contain Japanese people standing in pots - and they are used to that. I think that makes those scenes even funnier.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

That would be "Morton & Hayes" from Rob Reiner.

http://http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0101148/

An interesting note about those "Police Squad" reruns on CBS. Where A&E had run these slightly edited, CBS actually showed them uncut. Surprising for a program that was about a decade old at the time.

Paramount released two volumes on VHS. They might be easier to track down as video stores liquidate their tapes to make way for more DVDs. I found one at a local Blockbuster.

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Frank: Now wait a minute, let me get this straight. Twice came in and shot the teller and Jim Fell.
Sally: No he only shot the teller, Jim Johnson. Fell is ill.
Frank: Okay, then after he shot the teller you shot Twice.
Sally: No, I only shot once.
Ed: Twice is the hold-up man.
Sally: Then I guess I did shoot Twice.
Frank: Well, so now you are changing your story.
Sally: No I shot Twice after Jim fell.
Frank: You shot Twice and Jim Fell.
Sally: No, Jim fell first and then I shot Twice once.
Frank: Who fired twice?
Sally: Once!
Ed: He is the owner of the tire company, Frank.
Frank: Okay, now, Once is the owner of the tire company and he fired twice. Then Twice shot the teller once.
Sally: Twice.
Frank: And Jim Fell and then you fired Twice.
Sally: Once.
Frank: Okay, all right, that will be all for now, Ms Decker.
Ed: We will need you to make a formal statement down at the station.
Sally: Oh, of course.
Frank: You have been very helpful. We think we know how he did it.
Sally: Oh, Howie couldn't have done it, he hasn't been in for weeks.
Frank: Well. Thank you again, Ms Decker.
Frank: Weeks?
Ed: Saul Weeks. He is the controller, Frank.

:D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd buy this in a heart beat, as well as Morton And Hayes, which was awsome in its own right. I have them all taped on VHS, jsut waiting to get burned to DVD one day. Please some one release these so I don't have to go to all the trouble!!

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator

It did, originally. CBS just ran it in '91 when Naked Gun 2 1/2 was in theaters. CBS and Paramount are under the same corporate umbrella now, maybe they were then as well.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
You think there might be a music issue holding this up? On the VHS release, some music was changed, and very clumsily, too (specifically, in an episode where Frank sings some classic Judy Garland songs, he's overdubbed with some guy singing nonsense). Maybe the need to get the original music intact in that episode is keeping the show off DVD? I don't know; I just find it surprising that Paramount has released so much TV and all their other ZAZ stuff but not this series, and I figure there must be something holding them back.

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
I'd buy this for the Florence Henderson guest shooting (in what looked like the Brady kitchen!). Do you think Paramount would make this available 'In Color?'

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
After the original run, the rights to the show would've been exclusively Paramount's, so NBC would have nothing to say about its reappearance on CBS or elsewhere.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have bought the Naked Gun box if these were included as they should have been.

The tv shows were funnier than the movies.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Now that more than 20 years have passed, do you think they would include the John Belushi "guest shot" as extra?

Haden

Supporting Actor

Not likely, if this trivia on IMDB is true:

After the success of the "Naked Gun!" movies, ABC-TV re-aired all six episodes of this series in the early-1990s. Producers wanted to include the John Belushi "guest star" appearance in the rerun of the "Testimony of Evil", which had been cut from the episode due to Belushi's death in 1982. The footage could not be located, and is now presumed to have been lost or destroyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks