Police: Message in a Box-- any more sets like this?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Vince Maskeeper, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I really love this boxed set and wondered if there were any other releases similar to it.

What I mean is, the 4 disc set includes every track the band recorded- all album cuts as well as b-sides and some live stuff. INstead of reissuing every album as an indivdual CD- they put it together as a completist retrospective and crammed all 4 discs to the brim with material.

I was wondering if other artists have done similar sets? I'd be really eager to find a complete collection from bands like the Clash, Ramones, MC5, Stooges-- all of which are sadly negrected in my collection.

So, have any other bands put out nice complete collections on a few CDs like this Police set?

-Vince

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

The Police set doesn't include everything.
    From stingetc.com:

3. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

Cream's "Those Were the Days" 4 CD box set contains all of their released music as well as quite a few previously unreleased tracks. The first two discs are all studio cuts and the last two discs are all live material. It's a great set. If you like Clapton and/or Cream, then I highly recommend it.

4. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

How is the remastering on Message in a Box? I seem to recall some HTF member mentioning about a year ago that it was awful, but I'm hoping he just didn't know what he was talking about.

5. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

7. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Buffalo Springfield's Box Set includes alot across four discs, but not everything.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

9. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

These were released in the UK - but can easily be obtained in the states:

Direction, Reaction, Creation by the Jam

The Complete Adventures of The Style Council by the Style Council

The following were released in the US and overseas:

Heart and Soul by Joy Division

Datapanik in the Year Zero by Pere Ubu

All these box sets are similiar to the Police issue in that they contain most of everything (but not everything) recorded by that certain band (excluding alot of live stuff).

10. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Does Stevie Wonder's excellent "At The Close of A Century" (4 discs) count?

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Andrew, the Stevie Wonder set is a compilation, a "best of" (albeit a very big one). I believe this thread about box sets that include every single track a band or artist put out in its entirety.

That box set is really good, though.

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have the set- but I'm not really sure what is meant by this.

I never owned the original records, so I'm not sure if this a comparison being made to the original material (i.e. "Is the remaster faithful to the original sources?") or if this judgment is being made on the overall quality of the discs.

I found them to be pretty lacking in quality overall- but I always chalked it up to the sources and recording techniques (and budgets) of the time. Certainly as the collection moves along through their career rise, the recording quality gets better and better- but much of the material from the early stages is kinda "rough" by today's standards.

But again- I'm unsure how the originals sounded. Does anyone have any further information on exactly what the frame of reference is for this judgment or the specifics of the horrendousness?

13. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Yeah, man, frame that reference, specify the horrendousness -- we want details.

Are the remasters worse than the original editions or just not as good as other recent re-issues? The original CDs, while not spectacular, are perfectly listenable early redbook discs, especially considering the recording techniques that Vince mentioned above.

14. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

I always thought the box set sounded pretty good, of course the old stuff isn't gonna sound brand new, but it was good, none the less.

this sucks, I don't have everything?!?!?!?! i bought the box set so i didn't have to buy anymore cd's. Damn it!!!!!
    oh well, time to spend more money!
    Mike

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

What's with all the scratchiness at the beginning of "Don't Stand So Close To Me"? I don't remember it from the record or 45RPM single... [​IMG]

16. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I have MIB (not Men in Black), and all their LPs, since they did not have a real CD until Synchronicity.

I wouldn't call it horrendous, taking into account that the Police were an up and coming group out of the British punk movement, which really didn't emphasize "clean recordings" at that time. In fact, the grittier, the better. That attitude may have change by the time Synchronicity came out. I also noticed that MIB did not contain everything they released, too. It was created back in 1992 (or 4?), so I'm sure it could stand a remastering, but aren't all the Police albums remastered separately? If you want "clean", maybe you should look into those instead.

17. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Every version of "Don't Stand So Close To Me" I have heard, albeit all on CD, show the amp hum and distortion that Joel described. There is amp hum at the beginning and then a "spark" of distortion after the first bit of guitar. These sounds are engrained in my mind. I can't go through the song in my head without inserting the hum and distortion.

19. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

It has no b-sides or alternate tracks, but the Black Sabbath set "Miniatures 1970-78" from Castle collects all the studio releases from the Ozzy years in replica mini-album covers. I personally hate the mini-replica idea, as they get mucked up so easily, but I do like having the original art, even if the lyrics are too dang small to actually read. What I do love about the set though, is that www.deepdiscountcd.com has it for 72.96 (it lists for $99), which is a steal for 8 Castle Sabbath remasters. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As for the quality, I've never consciously, decidedly listened to Sabbath before, and only ever had Paranoid, so I'm far from a then-and-now authority to critique the remaster's faithfulness to the original mixes, but I can say I think the cds sound great, especially when blasted at high decibals. [​IMG]

20. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

The Velvet Underground's "Peel Slowly And See" box contains all the studio albums with Lou Reed and a bunch of extra stuff. (Note that some of the tracks used are alternate mixes, though, so you're not getting the "original" versions.)

Ryan