What's new

Police Interceptor models - what are the mods ? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
With all the recent cartalk, thought I'd ask a question everyone is wondering...

What are the modifications to a factory model that make a "police interceptor" ?

One of the admins that worked for me a few years back was an ex-city cop. He thought the only mods to the Crown Vic was the steering so they could track easier in reverse.

What do you think ?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I think the steering and suspension get strengthened a bit. I'm pretty sure the '94 Impala was based on the police variant of the Caprice and it's major difference was in the suspension. Pretty much everything else was cosmetic.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The Ford police interceptor has better suspension, Z rated tires, better brakes, and a much better transmission.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I could've sworn the cooling system also had some mods, such as a hi-po radiator and heavier-duty water pump...

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Glass on all windows is designed as bulletproof in newer models. (good friend is officer) otherwise, pretty standard. In fact, many are in semi-bad service.

Meanwhile, HiWay Patrol have new vehicles.. they are driving Porsches at the moment around these parts :) I'd love to get the specs on those!

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

You are kidding, right? :D

The CHP (California Highway Patrol) has BMW motorcycles....and I am waiting to see what they will replaced their Z28 Cameros and Mustangs with.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
High Output Motors (If Available)

Upgraded Electrical System to run added lighting and other
electronics

Upgraded Cooling System with GoodYear HiMiler Hoses

Upgraded Transmission Coolers

Upgraded Tires (Higher Speed Rating)

Stiffer Suspension

That's about it...

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Elwood:

"It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."

:D

DaveMcS

Second Unit
As an owner of a 1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1, I can fill you in on the upgrades the Police model receives over the civilian model:

Upgraded HD perimeter frame
3.23 Rear end gears
Police Pursuit suspension (shocks springs stabilizer bars body bushings)
Front and rear disc brakes
HD Cooling Package(radiator, engine oil cooler, tranny cooler)
Lifetime silicone hoses
HD 140 amp alternator
Special Calibrates TRansmission (use O/D for pursuit)
HD wiring/Grounding package for added electronics/lights
15x7 HD Wheels
Special Balanced Driveshaft
A/C wide open throttle cutoff (shuts off AC when throttle is opened all the way-keeps AC from robbing hp from engine)
AC head pressure relief (helps prevent damage in high speed pursuit)
Certified digital spedometer
Electronic trunk opener
HotMelt corrosion pads
HD seats with anti stab plates (thick steel plate built into seat back)
Cars could be ordered with either the L99 (4.3L) or LT1 (5.7L) motors...

The Impala SS (94-96) was based on many of these special order options...

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
They said the sales weren't enough to justify keep building the B-body (Impala, Caprice, and a Buick) and converted the factory to make trucks and SUVs. It's sad, really sad. At the time I believe that was GMs last RWD sedan.

DaveMcS

Second Unit

That is correct. The Arlington TX plant was retooled for production of the upcoming SUV line. The Caprice/Impala was the last RWD sedan GM produced. The Firebird/Camaro has also since gone extinct as well. That has left F@rd the singular supplier of full size RWD sedans for fleet use since 1996.

MANY police officers my local B-Body club has as members cherish the memories of their Caprice Cruisers. They say the Crown Vics just don't match up to the GM LT1 (350cu in) power and handling. Most of our organization have in fact purchased the Chevy 9C1's as cheaper alternatives to the pricier Impala SS. All the same toys with less that half the cost.
Of course I am a GM fan...you will find an equally vociferous fan base for the CVPI elsewhere on the net as well. But for the money my vote went to the Caprice. Whats better than a big 4200 lb. four door sedan for a family vehicle that also happens to sport a 260 hp Vette motor!

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Dave,

The Vette's were 300HP :)

Did they actually put the 350 CID LT1 into the Pursuit
Impalla's? Because I know the other Roadmaster/Caprice's
had "Baby LT1's" that were something like 265 CID?

If they put the 350LT1 into the pursuit cars were they 4
bolt main blocks? (All vette's are 4 bolt blocks where as
the F-Bodies were not).

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
The Impala SS had a 260HP 5.7 Liter LT1. I believe there were some differences between the Vette and the Impala's versions. I think the Impala had iron heads but the Vette had aluminum. I could be wrong. I don't know about the 4 bolt blocks, I've never heard that term before.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Not at all kidding. For the stretch from Topeka, KS to Colorado, Highway Patrol are currently using a combination of Porsche and Corvettes. For whatever reasons. The stretch of hiway there is very desolate, so *shrug* but I've seen speeding tickets on I70 go to court in Riley County for outrageous numbers (ie, 130 in a 75)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Keith,

4 Bolt refers to the number of bolts securing the main caps
which in turn keep the crankshaft in it's journals. 4 bolt
mains support more horsepower and generally speaking 4 bolt
blocks are usually higher nikel content than non 4 bolt
which also adds strength.

The LS1's on the other hand are all 6 bolt mains (like the
old Chrysler Hemi's)

Devin U

Second Unit
I remember a police officer friend saying he liked the Caprices. One of the things he really liked was they disabled the ABS, so it was fun locking up the brakes on turns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks