What's new

Police "Every Breath you take" Hybrid SACD (1 Viewer)

Michael_T

Second Unit
What's this about??? Everything I have heard about the release has led me to believe that both are EXACTLY THE SAME MIXES! Is this not true? I hope it is , because otherwise I'll have to keep both.
The mixes are exactly the same from what I have read, and the liner notes indicates that the 5.1 mixes are done by the same person, David Tickle @ Avalon Kaual.

That said, and this might be due to the nature of the DSD mastering, but the DTS CD does sound more aggressive in the rears, and not as natural as the mch mix present on the SACD. I wonder if when they mastered the SACD they cut the gain to the rears a bit so that they don't sound as "loud" as they do on the DTS CD?

I haven't done a close enough comparison to say what the perceived differences might be, but I am relatively sure these are the same mixes - They just have a smoother, more natural quality to them on the SACD.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John Royster, thanks. I have the box set, but haven't compared it to the Classics SACD.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'm late to the party and terribly ignorant, so could somebody please tell me what Police titles have been released on SACD? Thanks!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I'm late to the party and terribly ignorant, so could somebody please tell me what Police titles have been released on SACD? Thanks!
Their entire catalog has been released. Only the Classics is a Hybrid disc while the rest are single layer SACD.

J

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm being won over by the multichannel tracks!

I'd like to add "Don't Stand So Close To Me" to my list of extra-sweet sounding tunes on "The Classics" disc. I'm certain now that I'll be picking up at least "Outlandos", "Regatta" and "Zenyotta". Like today!!!

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
OK--checked into the Police situation today at work. Looked up, and subsequently found several copies of each of the Police CDs for both formats. Two copies of each of the SACDs (except for the fourteen copies of EBYT), and found between two and five copies for each of the regular CD remasters. These discs didn't come in until Tuesday afternoon, it looks like, which could explain why most people didn't see them on Tuesday when they were released (at least at my store, anyway).

So, it looks like Best Buy is handling everything.

(BTW, there's stickers on the SACDs that say they will play in both SACD and CD players. Are the stickers wrong, or are these hybrid discs?)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Only "The Classics" disc is hybrid (CD and SACD). It's been reported that many of the "Synchronicity" SACDs are mislabeled in this respect ("plays on all CD and SACD players"). That should cause no small degree of problems.

KrisM

Second Unit
Well, I checked A&B Sound today and these discs weren't in yet. Have any Canadians had any luck finding these or are they going to go the way of the Stones SACDs?

Regards
KrisM

NP - Kelly Joe Phelps - Slingshot Professionals

cwhite

Second Unit
Bought one of the new new Police Redbook CD's thinking that it was SACD(it was not labled), is there any way to distinguish the vanilla regular CD from the SACD?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Charles,

The Every Breath You Take: The Classics hybrid SACD is packaged in a digipak. It is my understand that the remastered CDs are also packaged in digipaks, while the single-layer SACDs are packaged in Super Jewel Boxes.

Kris,

I recall reading on Steve Hoffman's forum that the Police SACDs would not be available in the UK until March 17th. Perhaps they are being released a bit later in Canada as well.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I was at Best Buy tonite and tried to buy the EBYT disc. They've sold out; they only received two. The blue-shirt pointed out to me that their selection has grown at this store; it's probably doubled in the last 3 months (around 100 titles now). Sadly their discs are still over 3/4 non-hybrid Sony titles and there is still no small-label stuff like Audio Fidelity. He did not try to talk me out of buying SACDs.

They had two each of the other discs; the Synchronicity was mislabled as hybrid.

The CD section didn't have any of the EBYT hybrids, just the last reissue.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I don't mean for this thread to become a bash-BESTBUY-fest, but do they even have The Police SACDs available on-line? I read where they'd price-match in-store with their website (I feel I overpaid at $15.99 for "The Classics" disc), but I can't find any of The Police SACDs (other than "The Classics" hybrid) on their website.

Is Best Buy even selling them on-line?

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator
You can get all the studio albums at CircuitCity.com. They are $12.99 each and they are currently having a free shipping promotion.

KrisM

Second Unit
Thanks Keith. I hope they really are avaiable on the 17th. This happened with the Stones up here. They were supposed to be delayed for a couple of weeks and it ended up being a couple of months.

Regards
KrisM

Larry,

David Tickle did the MCH mix for the entire DTS CD and for the first 12 tracks of the SACD (track listings are slightly different). However, the mixes are different in my opinion. On the DTS CD, the rears are more pronounced and the center vocal is weaker than the SACD version. I've only listened to the MCH mix on the SACD twice fully, and this could just be a difference in volume levels and not an entirely different mix. However, in my opinion the SACD is preferred. I'd much rather hear Sting singing brightly and clearly up front with modest surrounds as opposed to having him almost drowned out by the rear channels of the DTS CD. As I said before (maybe in another thread), I've loved the DTS CD until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks