Polanski's Dance Of the vampires?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin S, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Martin S

Martin S Stunt Coordinator

Any more info on the possible progress of this coming out?I know it has quite a few fans on the forum.

2. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

3. Rain

Rain Producer

Ted,
    I think you're in the minority on that one. Everything I've read about the movie leads me to believe it's fairly well regarded.
    And Dance of the Vampires was indeed one of the titles that this film was released under.
    I'd probably buy it on DVD.

4. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Since the Musical version of this film opens on Broadway this fall (as "Dance of the Vampires"), it would be a great time to release this. [​IMG]
    Rafael

5. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

"Dance of the Vampires" was the title Polanski wished to use. It was released under that title in Germany.

-Mathias

6. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Nothing could be further from the truth. Besides, this thread really isn't about the film's merits (and there are many).
    Some time ago, I started a petition to have the film released on DVD. Here's the link:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/vampire/petition.html
    Anybody who cares, please sign. I've informed WB of the petition twice now, but I don't know if they've paid any attention. Can anybody suggest an e-mail address I could send the list to?

7. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

8. Ted Todorov

9. Ted Todorov

10. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

There is a nice laser disc that even has a short
    promo of Sharon Tate being glamorous around town.

11. Martin S

Martin S Stunt Coordinator

****There is a nice laser disc that even has a short
    promo of Sharon Tate being glamorous around town. ***

Yeah but it has to have one of the worst side breaks in laserdisc history. Right at the end during the climactic chase sequence. This is part of the reason i gave up on lasers and went to DVD years ago.
    It was a good package though.
    Hope everyone signs Jussi's petition for this. i don't agree that it was one of Polanski's lesser films...it was just different.

cheers

12. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I saw this movie on TCM (I think I saw one of the shortes versions though) and I liked it a lot. I'll freely admit I'm in the camp that is most likely to find this my favorite Polanski movies (and I haven't seen that many) but I would think this movie could be interesting to a wide spectre of movie fans. I'll admit this seemed more of a straight entertaintment piece though, but then again I wouldn't recognize anything else even if they did manage to hit me over the head with it [​IMG]
    Ok, so this didn't turn out to be that great an endorsement, but the movie is very good
    (Petition signer #29)

13. Frederick_Falk

Frederick_Falk Second Unit

Well, I just signed his petition and mine makes 637 sigs. Good luck with getting WB's attention and I hope they listen.

14. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I haven't seen the film and have no opinions about it, I'm just giddy that Ted referenced Love At First Bite. [​IMG]

15. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I loved this film when I first saw it...a drive-in re-release, I think. I've seen it since on P&S-edited-chopped-up-with-commercials broadcast TV and it was merely amusing. I'd love to view it on DVD, widescreen, uncensored and uninterrupted.

Jan

16. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Jan Strnad: Doesn't TCM show this movie OAR, uncut, and uninterrupted? It won't be a DVD, but at least you'll be able to see the whole movie.

17. John Fleming

John Fleming Stunt Coordinator

Martin S,
    Thanks for bringing this matter up again; and you're right...this subject continues to come up on this forum and others. This film has a substantial following and let's hope that Warner Bros (or whomever owns the distrubution rights) realizes this and will provide us with a release of this unique movie soon. Was this your typical Roman Polanski film? No. Was it nevertheless a highly entertaining (read:enjoyable) movie? Si, mi amigos. I sure hope that when it *is* released on DVD, the powers that be have provided us with a DVD that's worthy of the film, with an impressive video transfer and (hopefully equally) impressive audio soundtrack. I'm sure I speak for all fans of the film when I say that supplements such as deleted scenes (if any still exist), director's commentary(?!), behind the scenes photos, etc. would *really* be nice.
    Folks, if you haven't yet already, please post your feelings on the "subject at hand" (a matter near and dear to my and fellow HTFer Jeff Amaris' hearts if you haven't guessed already) over in this thread also...
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ampire+Killers
    Thanks.
    John

18. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

19. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

It's a terrific, atmospheric film that gets better with each viewing.

With the musical coming, how could the marketing dept. miss the opportunity?

But, then again, when the Magnificent Ambersons mini-series came out a little while back, Turner didn't take the opportunity to release the original...and they also didn't make use of the press TCM's still restoration of GREED was given to release it on DVD either...

Methinks something's amiss over there...