What's new

Polanski's Dance Of the vampires? (1 Viewer)

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
Any more info on the possible progress of this coming out?I know it has quite a few fans on the forum.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I know it has quite a few fans on the forum.
If so, they have a vivid imagination, because there is no such movie. I suspect that you mean: The Fearless Vampire Killers or: Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck.
True, in France is was called Le bal des vampires (The Vampire's Ball) but translating titles back into English is a sure path to confusion :)
For what it's worth, I don't think it was one of Polanski's better films, or to put it another way: it sucks...
Ted

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ted,
I think you're in the minority on that one. Everything I've read about the movie leads me to believe it's fairly well regarded.
And Dance of the Vampires was indeed one of the titles that this film was released under.
I'd probably buy it on DVD.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Since the Musical version of this film opens on Broadway this fall (as "Dance of the Vampires"), it would be a great time to release this. ;)
Rafael

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
"Dance of the Vampires" was the title Polanski wished to use. It was released under that title in Germany.

-Mathias

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Dance Of The Vampires said:
Nothing could be further from the truth. Besides, this thread really isn't about the film's merits (and there are many).
Some time ago, I started a petition to have the film released on DVD. Here's the link:
http://www.petitiononline.com/vampire/petition.html
Anybody who cares, please sign. I've informed WB of the petition twice now, but I don't know if they've paid any attention. Can anybody suggest an e-mail address I could send the list to?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
"For what it's worth, I don't think it was one of Polanski's better films, or to put it another way: it sucks..."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing could be further from the truth. Besides, this thread really isn't about the film's merits (and there are many).
Oh, come on: we need to start a separate thread just to discuss it's merits? Anyway, I absolutely stand by my assertion: we are comparing The Fearless Vampire Killers... (which is what the title was on the 35mm print I saw, with no disclaimer from Polanski) :) to Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby, Tess, Macbeth, etc. and IMHO even a straight faced comparison is ludicrous. Fearless is a silly trifle, while some of Polanski's films, including the ones mentioned above will be part of the film cannon for a long time...
I am not saying that Fearless doesn't stand up against something like Love at First Bite, but please don't go around trying to compare it to Chinatown.
Ted

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
It's a vampire movie, and it sucks! Get it?? LOL! OMFG!

Seriously, man, must try harder.
Hey, be grateful that I didn't say that it bites, it's a pain in the neck, it's a downright draining experience and all the jokes are anemic.

Ted

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
****There is a nice laser disc that even has a short
promo of Sharon Tate being glamorous around town. ***

Yeah but it has to have one of the worst side breaks in laserdisc history. Right at the end during the climactic chase sequence. This is part of the reason i gave up on lasers and went to DVD years ago.
It was a good package though.
Hope everyone signs Jussi's petition for this. i don't agree that it was one of Polanski's lesser films...it was just different.

cheers

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I saw this movie on TCM (I think I saw one of the shortes versions though) and I liked it a lot. I'll freely admit I'm in the camp that is most likely to find this my favorite Polanski movies (and I haven't seen that many) but I would think this movie could be interesting to a wide spectre of movie fans. I'll admit this seemed more of a straight entertaintment piece though, but then again I wouldn't recognize anything else even if they did manage to hit me over the head with it :)
Ok, so this didn't turn out to be that great an endorsement, but the movie is very good
(Petition signer #29)

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Well, I just signed his petition and mine makes 637 sigs. Good luck with getting WB's attention and I hope they listen.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the film and have no opinions about it, I'm just giddy that Ted referenced Love At First Bite. :D

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I loved this film when I first saw it...a drive-in re-release, I think. I've seen it since on P&S-edited-chopped-up-with-commercials broadcast TV and it was merely amusing. I'd love to view it on DVD, widescreen, uncensored and uninterrupted.

Jan

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Jan Strnad: Doesn't TCM show this movie OAR, uncut, and uninterrupted? It won't be a DVD, but at least you'll be able to see the whole movie.

John Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Martin S,
Thanks for bringing this matter up again; and you're right...this subject continues to come up on this forum and others. This film has a substantial following and let's hope that Warner Bros (or whomever owns the distrubution rights) realizes this and will provide us with a release of this unique movie soon. Was this your typical Roman Polanski film? No. Was it nevertheless a highly entertaining (read:enjoyable) movie? Si, mi amigos. I sure hope that when it *is* released on DVD, the powers that be have provided us with a DVD that's worthy of the film, with an impressive video transfer and (hopefully equally) impressive audio soundtrack. I'm sure I speak for all fans of the film when I say that supplements such as deleted scenes (if any still exist), director's commentary(?!), behind the scenes photos, etc. would *really* be nice.
Folks, if you haven't yet already, please post your feelings on the "subject at hand" (a matter near and dear to my and fellow HTFer Jeff Amaris' hearts if you haven't guessed already) over in this thread also...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ampire+Killers
Thanks.
John

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Folks, if you haven't yet already, please post your feelings on the "subject at hand" (a matter near and dear to my and fellow HTFer Jeff Amaris' hearts if you haven't guessed already) over in this thread also...
Thanks, John! I was hoping our initial thread wouldn't be dismissed as it contains a substantial number of supportive posts. We need to consolidate (not fragment) our efforts at this point. :)

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
It's a terrific, atmospheric film that gets better with each viewing.

With the musical coming, how could the marketing dept. miss the opportunity?

But, then again, when the Magnificent Ambersons mini-series came out a little while back, Turner didn't take the opportunity to release the original...and they also didn't make use of the press TCM's still restoration of GREED was given to release it on DVD either...

Methinks something's amiss over there...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks