What's new

Pokemon: The Complete First Season (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I think that there might be 13 episodes per release. In a typical Japanese anime season there are 13 episodes. My guess is that the first set will contain the first 13 episodes for Season 1. It's probably going to be the same as the Naruto Season 1 boxed set coming out very soon, 13 episodes.

As soon as more information becomes available I'll do my best to post it here ... But, look for the first release to contain 13 episodes. There were about 30 episodes for Season 1. It would be nice if there were all 30 episodes in the first set but I'm not expecting that. But, there could be 15 episodes in the first set.

The first season set image:

B000I0QLF0.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59197909_.jpg">_ _ Also, you can order it through Amazon.com right here:

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

RightStuf which is an official seller VIZ merchandise online has already said it is 26 episodes and 650 minutes long.

Josh_HI

Second Unit
OK Im SOOO confused...How many episodes does season 1 have?

26? 30? or 55? According to Pokemon Elite 2000 it has 55....And dont even get me started on tv.com i think they are telling me season 1 has 80 + episodes.....Who is right!?!

Oh yeah and Im really happy to see this coming out! I hope they follow with the other seasons.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
The first broadcast season could have 52 or 53, depending on if you count Beauty and the Beach, which aired much later. That, however, doesn't really matter. This set is now officially being called the Indigo League, which included the first season and half of the second. The 80 episode count isn't exactly right. Beauty and the Beach was translated and aired on Kids' WB, so TV.com not counting it is misleading. However, Pallet Party Panic is sometimes considered part of the Orange Island saga (where it was released on DVD last time around), so 80 could be the correct number.

Basically, it's 79 + maybe Beauty and the Beach + maybe Pallet Party Panic.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Each season was broadcast in Japan over the course of two years for each season. In a typical Japanese broadcast season they broadcast 26 episodes straight in a series such as this, ranging over 6 months and the following six months they repeat the episodes, giving the animators a break before the next round of episodes occur.

Typically, they animate the epsiodes in 13 episode blocks, take 2 weeks off and then rush through the next 13 episodes.

Season 1: Indigo League 55 Episodes
Season 2: Orange Islands 52 Episodes
Season 3: The Johto Journeys 52 Episodes
Season 4: Johto League Champions 52 Episodes
Season 5: Master Quest 53 Episodes
Season 6: Advanced 52 Episodes
Season 7: Advanced Challenge 52 Episodes
Season 8: Advanced Battle 47 Episodes

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
The Indigo League was 82 or 83 episodes in Japan and Orange Islands was 36 or 35, depending on where you place Pallet Party Panic.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Some history: The original Pokemon series was broadcast in Japan from April 1997 through November 2002 and lasted 276 episodes as according to the Anime News Network and Anime Database. This was the original series before the series started getting into Pokemon Advanced, Pokemon Master Quest and all of that. This series ends through Season 5. This would count for 12 missing episodes that weren't originally included for broadcast in the United States.

It's not known whether these missing episodes would be included in these boxed sets. I do know that the infamous Seizure Episode was included on one of the single release DVD's but had an identification lock on the episode so adults could unlock but it would prevent children from watching it ...

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Legend of Dratini is permanently banned due to violence. "The seizure episode," or Electric Soldier Porygon as its name translates, was never dubbed as well. As far as I'm aware, it was never released on DVD. Unlike Legend of Dratini, Electric Soldier Porygon could be brought here if they just edited out the 30 seconds that caused seizures, but I believe it's being held back because NOA doesn't want any of the news outlets to notice it and run stories about it again. Those are the only lost episodes from Kanto/Indigo League. The Ice Cave was also held back from the Johto series. As far as the pre-advanced episodes go, I believe those three are the only ones not dubbed and aired in the U.S., so I don't know what else would be missing. Beauty and the Beach would make four if it is currently banned again, but it has aired.

Josh_HI

Second Unit
WoW how violent was it if it got banned? What happened?

I had no idea one of the episodes caused seizures! How weird...

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, the episode itself, when it was broadcast in Japan wasn't violent as far as episodic content. But, the episode itself contained a lot of rapid bright flashes which invoked epileptic seizures in a perceived percentage of childre and adults who watched the episodes which resulted in the episode being restricted from further broadcast in Japan as well as being voluntary banned by broadcasters here in the United States. However, when the Pokemon single release DVD's were being released in the United States, the episode itself was included but the only way to get the unlock code was by contacting the studio via email and signing off that you're aware of what kind of seizure the episode could do and absolved the anime distributer of all blame or harm from the veiwing of the episode.

It was all over the news ...

Josh_HI

Second Unit
WoW which dvd was it released in? Has anybody here seen that episode? Did it affect you?

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Care to give a source for this wild claim? First, unless they pressed each disc differently with different codes (which would be extremely expensive), one person could do as you say and share the code with all of us. Second, this would be huge news that would have broken long ago. I've never hear of any such inclusion and, in fact, have never heard a credible source say for certain that the episode was translated.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure. If I ever come across that episode or discover what DVD's they are on I'll post but it's been such a long time ago that I hear about that. And it's not a wild claim but that was way back around 2001.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
According to the Best Buy website, they have these episodes listed as being on the set but I take personal issue with this because they have 80 episodes as being listed on a 3 DVD set.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
What's the best way to collect these? Start with the "First Season" boxset and then wait, or should I looked to getting the other boxsets available, for example Advanced Battle. Or would these appear as "Ninth Season" or however they fit in?

Feeling a bit lost I must admit.

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
The first season looks to be becoming available with the upcoming box set. I would bet that it would contain 27 episodes, not 80, but you never know.

Season 2 is available on three one-disc releases known as "The Adventures of the Orange Islands"

Season 3 is mainly out print, known as the "Johto Journeys."

Seson 4 is "Johto League Champions" and is available over 7 one-disc releases.

Season 5, "Master Quest," and Season 6 "Advanced" are both available in two box sets.

Season 7, "Advanced Challenge," is spread over 10 one-disc releases. Season 8, "Advanced Battle," is being released the same way.

Season 9, "Battle Frontier," which has the new voices, begins to air on Cartoon Network this Saturday, with a sneak peek on Friday night.

Hope that helps!

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Umm yess....I assumed that they were starting with Season One as a boxed set, replacing a previous multiple-single-disc issue.

Perhaps that will happen with Seasons Two through Four plus Seven and Eight, which appear to be single disc, and going out of print (was season one available that way?)

WHich would mean that eventually, you would just have season - or, as seems likely, half-season sets?

I would bet that it will be half-season sets; it is the pattern for the later series. And indeed many other TV series with high episode number seasons. Apprently smaller half-season sets sell better than large single ones (which have a big pricetag), unless it's something like Star Trek!

Let's hope there's a re-release of everything in rationalised season sets. The current releases are a right dog's dinner.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I've seen the advertisement for the new Pokemon season and it looks like the Pokemon are finally going to be able to talk ... not simply saying their own name while racing through each episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks