Pointless Slipcases

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Cooper, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

I bought 'The Rundown' today, and it comes in a normal Amaray case with a outer cardboard sleeve that is EXACTLY the same as the cover liner in the case. Even the spine! What is the point? Such a waste of materials, wouldn't they save a fortune if the slipcase was not included?

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm getting increasingly annoyed with all of the slipcovers that AREN'T SHRINKWRAPPED! Most stores just go ahead and stick their price tags on them, so I've been forced to buy these at stores that don't use price tags (like Wal-Mart, Target) or through mail-order, just so I can get a slipcase that doesn't have anything stuck on it by the retailer, since I keep the disc case in it! I still haven't bought Chitty Chitty Bang Bang yet because of this- the place I can get the best price on it has price tags stuck on all of them. MAKE IT STOP NOW!!!

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Jesse,

There is a product called GOO GONE that will remove most adhesives. With a bit of care, you should be able to remove all stickers and residue and end up with a mint condition slipcase.

4. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

Giving all the dead space we have to live with inside DVD cases, adding more bulk to the outside does seem excessive.

I usually toss identical slipcases (see Disney reissues).

In the case of Finding Nemo, Walmart was selling slipcase-free versions for $9.88 a month after release.

You might want to wait a bit on Disney reissues and get them cheaper without the fancy crap.

5. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

Eh, at least Rundown had plastic wrap over the slipcase. Also, it's not exactly the same, the slipcase cover is a bit shiny. [​IMG] I don't see what the big deal is, I like the slipcases. The only thing I find a bit odd is that there is no chapter listing in the case, only some crappy advertisement. No chapter listing but there is a slipcase? What's goin' on here?

6. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

I like slipcases and consider it added protection. I've had no problems with them but hell, what do I know...I dont mind snappers either. just give me a disc thats not defective, and I'm happy.

7. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

The only problem I have is when retailers put price stickers on the slip cases. Some times it is a pain to get the sticker off without ripping the slipcase.

8. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

The only time that I despise slipcases is when they're made of metal and they totally destroy the keepcase within. To this day, I'm still waiting to find a paper slipcase version for T2 Extreme...

9. JonBoriss

JonBoriss Stunt Coordinator

Pirates of the Caribbean and Alice in Wonderland are more recent ones.

10. dannyB

dannyB Stunt Coordinator

Some more pointless slipcases: Scarface, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Usual Suspects

I don't mind them, though. Anything thats extra is cool, what annoys me is the lack of packaging (inserts).

11. Shane Roach

Shane Roach Stunt Coordinator

Personally I like slipcases that match the art on the keepcase. It lets me print a nice custom poster-based cover for the keepcase without losing the "original" art.

Also, I've never had a problem removing stickers from slipcases, but if you have any residue Goo Gone is terrific.

12. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

I wish that they had used the original poster art for the Rundown. They could have used the same slip cover, but have the actual case use the original art. The new art is terrible.

13. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I wish it was normal. What's the deal with these new useless clips on the side that you need to pop open inorder to open the case? Why do studios think they have to reinvent the wheel...err case with each new dvd release? There was no problem with the original amaray case. Now we have two more pieces of plastic that serve no purpose and that are bound to break off.

14. RobertM.Fleming

RobertM.Fleming Stunt Coordinator

those little plastic flaps are a addtional security measure for stores that dont have DVD in lock cases. Instead of someone just slitting the side and popping the case open to get a disk...now they have to lift two flaps...a crucial time consuming step for your average paranoid shoplifter.

yeah...its kinda pointless

and those little tabs are ment to be broken off when you buy it.

15. Matt Goddard

Matt Goddard Stunt Coordinator

I liked the effect of the slipcase with The Usual Suspects. I thought it complimented the case artwork nicely. It certainly wasn't the same.

16. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I don't mind the slipcases...just adds something more to the packaging, I suppose. And I don't mind the clips so much either...I guess I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to DVD packaging...

But stickers on the slipcases! Aghhh! [​IMG]

17. Jim Blackie

Jim Blackie Stunt Coordinator

The slipcase on the Region-free (2 disc) Malena looks great, but you can't get the digipak out! No cutout halfmoons to grasp the pack inside! You have to jiggle, shake and pry the darn thing out.

18. Alex K.

Alex K. Agent

Just buy the regular, and send your adress to [email protected]
    and they will send the nice paper slipcase for you.

19. jon_ad

jon_ad Stunt Coordinator

The version I bought from Columbia House came with a paper case.

20. Robert Wainwright

Robert Wainwright Stunt Coordinator

I also think The Usual Suspects slipcase was an enhancement. Everything else has pretty much been a waste.

Ohh pretty holographic colors on the cover, maybe (insert title) doesn't suck!:wink: