What's new

Point Pleasant - New FOX show (Merged) (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I live a couple of towns away. And while the show was interesting. My wife and I couldn't stop commenting how unlike Point Pleasant the locations looked. :D

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
I watched it tonight. Felt like it was trying to be Buffy but less interesting and on the beach....trying to be the love child of the O.C. and Buffy? I might watch it again but don't see it going anywhere, also dissapointed with the cancel of Tru.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Okay... who tossed The Exorcist and Prince of Darkness in the blender with 90210 and The O.C.? I sat through the episode tonight and had a hard time doing so. Maybe it will get better with time.

Fox canceled Tru Calling for this? Tru Calling may have been a bit predictable but I liked the characters (especially Tru) much better.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I watched the first half hour.... it started to become too much of a teen drama and I changed the channel. Buffy was interesting... PP is not.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah. IIRC, he's also written some of the episodes of Cartoon Network's The Venture Brothers (great show!).

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Oh boy was this awful. I wish I could get my hour back. It should do really well against CSI on Thursday nights. :rolleyes

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, just recently got and finally watched Buffy Season 7. Not where I can check the box or look online for it ... was Marti the primary writer for S7?

Whoever it was, S7 was easily the weakest of the Buffy seasons, by far. A new Buffy-esque show could be cool, but if S7 Buffy people are involved, I'm thinking bigtime pass. That's how bad S7 was.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I tried to watch this and man it's just dreadful. The actors and the writing are equally bad. I kept thinking of all the clever spins we will se such as the OCCULT O.C. Etc. this show sucks!

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
The problem with Point Pleasant by watching last night episode is that there's no originality to it. It all feel too cliched. Even the supernatural theme, seems that they lifted from other shows/movies. Plus the acting by all of the teens including the daughter of "Satan" feels wooden.

I think I'll pass on this show.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
PP looked like it might've had some promise, but it was terrible.

Watch them pull it during February sweeps.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator

I don't mean to turn this into a Tru Calling thread ... but I'll second that .... and it wasn't even that predictable by the end of the season. Jack's arrival really opened up story possibilities that would have been fun to see explored in S2 .... I thought I saw a rumor somewhere about UPN or WB picking up Tru Calling, but it probably was nothing more than rumor ....

Bryan

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I recorded the pilot from last night and watched it, and since CSI was a repeat, I watched the PP second episode after The O.C. and came away unimpressed as well.

I don't think the lead actress, Elisabeth Harnois, playing Christina, acts all that well, she's just a little too dull to root for or against.

Grant Show tries hard to be the big slick devilish guy, but just doesn't quite pull it off either.

The signs of the devil's daughter and the horrible forseen consequences seem far too horrible to sustain a long-running show, but a 2 hour movie, sure, I'm there.

With far too many scenes of girls in bathing suits in both episode, it feels like the producers don't have confidence in their concepts, and just pander to keep the young actresses and actors in swimwear to keep the targetted teen audience tuned in.

For now, I'll record it, but it'll be taking low priority in keeping up with it.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
But, but, that's a 'WB' trademark, isn't it? :)

Haven't seen #2 yet, but I have a feeling that this is going to be like all of their shows, an evening soap. The 'OC' is still on. I would have killed that one off ages ago, but they have written enough (I hope) to expand it beyond a movie.

And after all, my eyeballs are happy!!! Isn't that what really matters?

Glenn

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ok, here are my problems with it. I tried to watch it. The other person in my house was watching it and was enthralled mainly because of the occult stuff. I sat there playing my Game Boy and looked up occasionally just to find mistakes and point out problems like the asshole I am. (By the way, the new Zelda GBA game is amazing).

Everyone looks generic on the show. It truly is 90210 meets the occult.

They have to play the "look we are creepy" music EVERY ten seconds! OOOOOOOH I am scared!

The acting sucks. But that is expected. It is like everyone is TRYING to seem like what they are saying is important.

Alan York(the character from 24) is in it. I know its just the actor. But Jack Bauer should show up, handle him and his family and put us out of our misery.

The editing on this show is atrocious! When the woman was pushed to the ground and knocked some stuff around at the doctors office, the sharps disposal box on the wall was crooked from the impact. BUT when it went to a close up, it was straight again. Then when it went back to a wider angle, it was crooked again, but a different angle. YAY for editing!

And when the priest was pulled up by the rope and then set the boat on fire at the end, I thought he was pulled up so he would be hanging upside down. Yet when they showed the boat burning, he was hanging by his neck. Someone please correct me on this.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Don't forget that the stained glass window that was broken in the first episode, and boarded over at the start of this one, was complete and glorious when SheDevil returned at night.

I had some hope in the premise, but by about 8:45 CST last night, I felt like I had just literally waded through excrement and just wanted a shower.

This show is BAD!!!!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
1/27/05

Ben Edlund penned this episode, and I thought it was a better overall episode than the 2 previous episodes.

But, I think Edlund went a little overboard with the lighthouse light used as a metaphor to shine the light of truth to Ben in order to make him come to his senses before beating the crap out of the rich punk.

What the episode also did was lay some seeds of doubt about the "goodness" of Jesse considering he was fathered by a mystery man, and while his mom considers him to be a saint, perhaps it will be his dark side that gets revealed by Christina's presence and could trigger something latent from within him, while Christina struggles to find her way to the light, and Jesse goes towards the dark (one of those ying-yang tragic unrequited love situations as the season goes on).

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Can anyone tell me what Court House is shown in the Point Pleasant intro?

Kenneth

Supporting Actor

As long as they don't take "The Devil's Advocate" approach where both turn out to be related to the apocalypse. I also thought they were improving a little and played more on the theme that Christina is a focal point for both good and evil. Kind of a Garden of Eden choice them starting to emerge.

Kenneth

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks