What's new

Point of saturation. (1 Viewer)

Jedd

Second Unit
What have you experienced, where this point lays, when the price increase doesnt produce noticeable quality increase?
(i.e. if you are not specially trained you wont differ wine for $50 from $20, so why to pay more. :) )

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I take your question to be more philosophical than technical.

I guess it depends on how people define intrinsic value and from which perspective. I am a 'glass half-full' person so a $500 sub that performs at least 95% of a $1500 sub is all I need, trained ear or untrained. A 'glass half-empty' one might have greater impetus to seek the $1500 sub, economics regardless. One perspective is better suited to handle the supposed shortcomings while the other might incline to a shortcoming awareness.

Your wine analogy is very apropos. I personally have never paid more than $28 but I understand why someone with a more refined palette would.

Sensitivity can breed a certain quality intolerance to any of our senses. But is there ever a price point at which the supposed 'suffering' stops? I doubt it.

My wharfedale Emerald 97's are a superb upgrade from my old Pioneer 303's. But until they arrived I really didn't mind the sound from paper cones and still don't.

Waiter, another bottle of this delicious $9 varietal, please!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
This will certainly differ between people. For me, I think anything past:

- $3k receivers / seperates

- $2k floorstanding or $1k satellite speakers

- $1k subs

- 50+" HDTV or intro level CRT

is the point of diminishing returns. Beyond that you're going to spend a good deal more for smaller improvements.

Jedd

Second Unit
I know it's philosophical. :b
Just want to solve it before investing the money, so I won't be torn apart for saving that bloody hundred or two.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Jedd:

know it's philosophical. Just want to solve it before investing the money, so I won't be torn apart for saving that bloody hundred or two.
This question is unanswerable, except by you. In audio equipment, as in many things, there is a law of diminishing returns. That is, you will get more "bang for your buck" from the first $1,000 (or $10,000!) than from the second thousand (or ten thousand). People often say "product x has 95% the performance of product y, for only 50% the cost." To me, this is ridiculous, because quality of sound is a subjective propery, and thus is not quantifiable. What it really boils down to is, "How much are YOU willing to spend for a particular sonic improvement?" Your answer will depend on (1) how important the particular sonic improvement is to your ear, and (2) your wallet.

Listen, then decide.

Regards,

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks