Point of saturation.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jedd, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

What have you experienced, where this point lays, when the price increase doesnt produce noticeable quality increase?
    (i.e. if you are not specially trained you wont differ wine for $50 from $20, so why to pay more. [​IMG] )

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I take your question to be more philosophical than technical.

I guess it depends on how people define intrinsic value and from which perspective. I am a 'glass half-full' person so a $500 sub that performs at least 95% of a $1500 sub is all I need, trained ear or untrained. A 'glass half-empty' one might have greater impetus to seek the $1500 sub, economics regardless. One perspective is better suited to handle the supposed shortcomings while the other might incline to a shortcoming awareness.

Your wine analogy is very apropos. I personally have never paid more than $28 but I understand why someone with a more refined palette would.

Sensitivity can breed a certain quality intolerance to any of our senses. But is there ever a price point at which the supposed 'suffering' stops? I doubt it.

My wharfedale Emerald 97's are a superb upgrade from my old Pioneer 303's. But until they arrived I really didn't mind the sound from paper cones and still don't.

Waiter, another bottle of this delicious $9 varietal, please!

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    This will certainly differ between people. For me, I think anything past:

- $3k receivers / seperates

- $2k floorstanding or $1k satellite speakers

- $1k subs

- 50+" HDTV or intro level CRT

is the point of diminishing returns. Beyond that you're going to spend a good deal more for smaller improvements.

4. Jedd

Jedd Second Unit

I know it's philosophical. :b
    Just want to solve it before investing the money, so I won't be torn apart for saving that bloody hundred or two.

5. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Jedd: