What's new

Point Break: Pure Adrenaline Edition (1 Viewer)

Tom_Ca

Agent
Fox Home Entertainment has announced a new special edition of Point Break which stars Keanu Reaves and Patrick Swayze. The Pure Adrenaline Edition will be available to own from the 3rd October, and should retail at around $19.98. The film itself will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with both English Dolby Digital 5.1 and 4.0 Dolby Surround tracks. Extras will include deleted scenes (Holistic Fitness With Agent Pappas, Agent Johnny Utah Thinks He Can Surf, Tyler Saves Johny From The Waves, Penetration Of The Social Infrastructure, Tyler & Johnny Spend Time Alone In The Water, A Basic Hit & Run, Tyler Accuses Johnny Of Using Her, and Johnny & Bodhi Talk About Robbing Banks), an It's Make or Break featurette, a Ride the Wave featurette, an Adrenaline Junkies featurette, an On Location: Malibu featurette, a still gallery, and three theatrical trailers.

Cover here: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/point-break.html

Am I crazy or the barebones version had a DTS track in addition to the 5.1 and 4.0 tracks???
Will it be have new tranfer?

Sten F

Second Unit
From what I´ve read of reviews the DTS wasn´t that good. It had a strange metal sound to it, and the dialogue was difficult to hear.

Mark Roger

Agent
No commentary... No sale.

How hard can it be for Fox to get Kathryn Bigelow or Patrick Swayze to do commentary on this film?

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
How about Gary Busey commentary then?

Since a Road House: UE was just released and now this, can we assume big fans of the 'Swayz' just took over the home video departments of Fox and MGM?

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

I have this disc and I've never experienced that with the DTS track...I think it's a 4.1 track.*shrugs*

There's a DD 5.1 track on the barebones disc too, but no Dolby Surround track IIRC.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
My player reads it as DTS 5.1 and DD 5.0 and dialogue does come from the center channel on both tracks. There is a Dolby Surround track, too. The DTS track sounds good but I'm curious as to how the DD 5.1 track will sound.

Now release Strange Days: Jacked In, Wire Tripped Edition [:P] to cross-promote (and possibly career-revive) director Kathryn Bigelow.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Christ, if ever there were a talented filmmaker who was criminally underutilized by the industry while hacks like Adam Shankman and Shawn Levy sell their souls to Satan and land the sweetheart gigs, it's Kathryn Bigelow. Why, God?

Re: Point Break --

Yes, the concept is silly. Yes, the stars include names like Keanu Reeves, Gary Busey and Lori Petty, but I get drawn into this movie every time I see it, and I think it has to do with the sheer energy Bigelow brings to it. She gives you the panoramic surfing and skydiving sequences, but she also gets down and dirty with the Malibu foot chase and the siege on the wrong house (Sizemore!!). Great stuff.

Now, if only she and Cameron would reunite one more time to record that long-coveted Strange Days commentary. I [HEART] my beloved laserdisc of that film, but now that Jim's doing the audio-track thing (and wrote the flick), it's a long overdue no-brainer.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
So I had to stick mine in just to see what is currently sounds like and I must say it isn't bad at all. The waves of the ocean is where the DTS really immerses you.

Looks like a no sale for me, cover does look cool though...

Sten F

Second Unit
I´m glad to hear from R1 DTS owners that it´s doesn´t sound as bad as the reviews imply.

I wonder on what grounds the reviewers came to that conclusion.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I've noticed that most of the Largo Entertainment-produced movies that Fox initially released in theatres and on VHS and laserdisc have now been acquired by Warner Bros. Since POINT BREAK was one of those films, I'm wondering if maybe Fox rushed this "Adrenaline" edition out using existing materials and didn't bother getting commentary because they knew they would be losing the rights?

Guess we won't know unless Warners reissues this on their own.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
There is nothing wrong with the current DVD. It's quite good. Bigelow approved the transfer and sound remix on it.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I'm a big fan of this film and own the previous dvd BUT the Pure Adrenaline Edition is going to be on sale next week. From the reviews I've read, the upgrade isn't worth it for picture and sound quality alone. What I'm wondering about is the special features. Can any owners of the p.a. edition comment on the quality of the deleted scenes, etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks