What's new

Point blank, no bull, is D-VHS a direct threat to dvd? (1 Viewer)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
This whole issue in nothing new to me. I, like many on this forum, was enjoying Laserdisc while millions of others were viewing the same movies on VHS and holding out for a new format like DVD to arrive. Basically, the same situation will likely arise with D-VHS. People can either enjoy films in High Definition Video with superior audio quality on D-VHS today (or very soon at least), or they can choose to view the same films with a lesser quality presentation on DVD while they wait for High Definition Video Discs (HDVDs) to eventually arrive.

D-VHS is really no threat to DVD at all, it is just a great, great option for home theater fanatics to enjoy if they so choose.

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
I would never say never with respect to D-VHS. I have a pretty sordid history of buying into all kinds of dead-end technology at the earliest possible occasion. I bought my first HDTV receiver and display in November 1998.

I certainly don't like tape much, but that's not the showstopper. I think the real issue will be availability of software.

Not more than 5 or 6 of the mentioned "100 titles" really floats my boat. I personally have seen T2 enough times that I could stand to wait another three years to see it when HD-DVD is out.

I currently rent 3 or 4 DVDs for every one I buy. I use Netflix as my rental source, and even assuming a rental market for D-VHS ever develops, it certainly wouldn't be economical to do it via mail as you can with DVD's.

I consider myself pretty selective on my purchases. Most of them are not in the mainstream. I don't see anything in the proposed list of D-VHS titles EXCEPT the mainstream big budget action pic fare. That stuff shows up on HBO or Showtime in HD anyway, so I can see it there if I want.

By the time a decent selection of software for D-VHS is available (at least 2 years from now is my fearless prediction) we'll have a lot better idea of where we stand with HD-DVD. If as Bill Hunt predicts, D-VHS spurs the development of HD-DVD then so much the better. I don't see any reason to jump in early on this one.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I don't see anything in the proposed list of D-VHS titles EXCEPT the mainstream big budget action pic fare.
It seems appropriate from a marketing perspective to announce titles that are popular to the masses (even videophiles like popcorn movies). I think before a rash judgement is made, we need to see what other titles are being offered. Who knows what the D-VHS/D-Theater gods will bring us outside of the handful announced.
I don't think it will take two years to put out quality movies to you're liking, but I see the glass as half-full.
Also, even if HBO/Showtime did offer to show any of the listed movies in HD, it more than likely, will not be in OAR or 5.1 surround sound. It also won't be encoded at 23Mbs or higher so it won't be as good as the D-VHS/D-Theater tape in the audio or video department. You also won't be able to watch it when you want to..etc, etc. :)
Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks